Tech 101 Custom bucket seat install

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buddy locally had a trashed split bench in SC. He wanted my old buckets from my 88. No holes lined up. SO....we went the custom route.

Items needed.

Welder
Grinder 4 1/2" fine...can be cut off tool too..
Some cutting tool chop saw torch hack saw etc
Basic hand tools sockets wrenches etc.

This was all done with Ford PU seats however with some ingenuity you could adapt just about any seat of your liking to this design.

You will need some 1 1/2" square tubing. Enough to have two pieces be as wide as the stock bench seat.

Remove the seat tracks from the bench seat and secure back into truck jn normal location.

Take the two pieces of square tubing and make them sit on your seat tracks as shown in image.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now set the front bar and tack weld in place making sure each side has sufficient and equal distance past frame.

We removed the seat frames off of sliders on the buckets the risers that are riveted to the bucket frames must be removed. Grind rivets off pry frames off.

LEAVE THE END RIVETS IN THE SLIDERS AND WELD IN PLACE FROM THE TOP OF RIVET....THEY STOP THE TRACK FROM GOING TO FAR FORWARD OR BACK. ONCE RIVETS WELDED GRIND OFF REMAINING PORTION FROM BOTTOM OF SLIDER.....NO NEED TO REMOVE THE CENTRE RIVETS.

Now you should have two sliders on the seats. Take the length of the slider...not seat rail but the part with the rivets and transfer that measurement to the rear cross bar so the seat can be placed for welding.

Mark seats location on cross frame and do same for pass side. Remove frame from truck carefully so as not to break tack welds and once removed fully weld the cross frame to the bench sliders.

Now take and place seats where you marked..make sure the slidrrs are equally placed and tack weld in position. Once tacked you unbolt seat from sliders and fully weld the bu ket sliders in place.

Instal buckets onto sliders and install whole frame with buckets into truck.

The new bucket seats installed

Close up of double slider setup

Here you have room for custom console

Here is my buddy Bill...a satisfied customer

There you have it a custom bucket in a super cab using bench seat mounts.

Thanks for looking

Al

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Al!

:eek: Is that pot plants growing wild in the background? ;Poke

Good write up and good job! I didn't know that the bucket seats from the Bricknose had two arms each, mine (obs) have only one for the console side...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you weld like a girl LOL

F U...you try and MIG weld outside in a vallley they train mtn helo in cause the winds are so severe.....why in the hell do you thi k the stupid forest fire went on so long....besides I am a man with a welding machine that welds I am not a welder....

You come here n do better outside and then talk....buwa ha ha...

Seriosly mig outside with no wind break is crap....suppose I should hqve taken some pics of the good welds but eh..DILLIGAF they are strong n fatman trusts em

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F U...you try and MIG weld outside in a vallley they train mtn helo in cause the winds are so severe.....why in the hell do you thi k the stupid forest fire went on so long....besides I am a man with a welding machine that welds I am not a welder....

You come here n do better outside and then talk....buwa ha ha...

Seriosly mig outside with no wind break is crap....suppose I should hqve taken some pics of the good welds but eh..DILLIGAF they are strong n fatman trusts em

im just pullin your leg man! there not lookin bad, just incomplete.. now that its tacked id pull it out, cut the ends of the box tubing at a slight angle and cap them.
for those times where you drop things and need to blindly reach under it without slicing you up..
dont ************ up there and slap the shat out of that SC Bronco ;Sweet

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
To mig outside, either turn up regulator pressure to compensate for wind or run flux core.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No flux core...never thought turn up reg...regardless the good welds u guys cant see lol.

Anyway I have a welder and use it...in no way does it make me a welder.

Point of post was to show seat frame not my crap welds.