TDI Ford Explorer

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hadn't thought of the rangers. Could be. The earlier ones some of the sport model 2 doors had manuals and less common in the 4 doors so I suppose they may have continued that. :dunno

Ranger pedals probably doable but maybe not bolt in. I'm not sure if they were as close cousins by then as they were the previous generations.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sport models that had manuals were on a ranger platform. I have never seen that model with a manual... not to say it didn't happen just thinking its extremely rare

pafixitman

Reaction score
02 should be the last year a manual was offered in Exploders. The Ranger was up to '11. Should be the same M5OD-R1HD.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Alrighty, I've figured out which direction I'm headed. Since I have a pretty intense summer coming up (and will be out of state), I'm going to just go with an adapter plate that you can already pick up. ACME sells one to mount a TDI in front of a V6 toyota transmission (not on their website), which means that a R150f (95.5+ Tacoma's with 3.4 V6) will bolt right up. The reason this trans is needed is because on those models, it has a drivers side transfer case drop. Another nice thing is they aren't to expensive to pick up used. I will be able to use a 1.8kw starter for the V6 Taco, which should be good enough to start the TDI. This also allows me to use the Toyota 10" clutchs, which I can get in up to over 400 ft lb ratings.

So right now I'm looking at a VW engine, Toyota transmission/transfer case, and a Ford chassis LOL

fte

Reaction score
Nice project! I have a friend that's doing a tdi in his Sport Trac with an AX15, I'm doing a 2.2 Kubota swap in my Sport Trac with a Nissan 6 speed. Mine required a custom adapter, that's done, all the rest of the fabbing is in progress. Did you weigh that Exploder yet? My wife has one and it's HEAVY! Quite a bit more than my Sport Trac.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online