TDI Ford Explorer

FordGuy100

Reaction score
We need something bigger than the B4V. Add into that, that I wanted something I could use some of the engineering skills I have aquired (LOL) from school. My wife got behind a swap of some sort. While cruising craigslist one day, I found an 02 4x4 Explorer, no trans/transfer case, and a blown engine. Picked it up for $400. It was dirty, and has 240K on it. I found a 2002 ALH, complete, running (everything underneath the hood, pulled by a VW mechanic who buys/sells VW stuff on the side), paid $1000 for it.

We spent the last two weeks cleaning it out. It sat for a while, and was dirtier than hell, nasty dirty. Got the interior up to good enough shape for now.

So the next step is to pull the 4.0 SOHC out of it, and sell it. Then I need to find a suitable trans/transfer case, and make an adapter plate, then engine mounts, then everything else. I'm thinking the swap will take a year, as I'm still working full time, going to school full time, and commute 500-700 miles a week.

02 ALH
You must be registered for see images attach

Car as it sits now. Notice the fuel line behind passenger side front wheel. Pushed (via fuel pump, relay jumped) 20 gallons of fuel! I'll go ahead and claim that as +$50

Cleaning up the headliner. It looks dirtier in the picture than in person, but it does show the difference between cleaned and non cleaned!

Wife cleaning the headliner. Bleach solution, degreaser (citrus), and febreeze.

How we got it

After cleaning

We *think* the dog in the back barfed, and it wasn't cleaned for a while, and the acid stained that cover.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to see you dropping in!
your son is quite a bit larger than the last pic. more family pics please :D
I'm getting ready to do a somwhat simpler swap. 4BT into a dieselburb. :D

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Cant wait to watch it come together. looks like a great vehicle to start with.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Subscribed!

I think this will be a really neat piece. Those were pretty nice vehicles. Mom had one and loved it until it started eating itself.

Couple words of caution on that vehicle. You got rid of one of the major weak spots because the trans wasn't in it. The rear diff's on them are notorious for leaks and eating themselves. I would highly recommend you take the time and service it check it out before you get too deep. The other thing that is notorious on those (albeit cosmetic) is the plastic part at the base of the glass in the hatch. They split all the time. I think someone finally came up with a metal replacement but something else to think about.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah the piece on the tailgate is in one piece. I didn't know about the diff, it would give me an excuse to find one with a LS (3.55). Overall it's ok, but it will need steering, suspension, etc, to bring it back into good driving condition.

And I heard the stock 5 speed auto was horrible so I'm glad it's gone.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a fun project ;Sweet

If memory serves, the ALH computer requires that the factory VW instrument cluster be connected...I want to say that it's an anti-theft feature, but I don't know for sure. Are you going to graft the VW instrument cluster into the Ford dash, or do you have something else in mind?

Looking forward to seeing this come to fruition ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
That's actually it's nickname! The Exploder.

The ECU will get the immobilizer deleted (so it will start with a hot 12v going to the right pin), along with EGR, MAF, and all other non essentials deleted as well. It will also receive the hottest tune the stock vnt-15 will handle with bigger injector nozzles. Plan is to build a compound setup, or perhaps a larger vnt turbo (1756VK, 2260VK, or something along those lines).

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Really sounds like its going to be a cool rig. What is the emissions situation like where you live?

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think the alh will handle the weight?? I feel my 2000
Golf with 153k on it is kinda sluggish and it's a 5 speed. I see you plan on some upgrades, just curious on your thoughts

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Stock 4.0 made 210hp and 250 ft lbs (rounded up). A hot tune on an ALH will do 170hp and 310 ft lbs at the crank. At that point I'll probably upgrade rods and pistons.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Drop some money on some nozzles and a tune, you will be surprised what an extra 30+ Hp will do to that car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online