TDI Ford Explorer

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ALH is awesome Eng ... I have few TDi's in my drive way , BHW , BRM and ALH .... Between the ALH and the BRM i would take the BRM over the ALH but take both over the BHW .

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would have taken PD over the ALH, but I couldn't find one reasonably priced. Plus the tandem pump makes the swap harder, as you have to have firewall clearance for it.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say Price Yes but tandem pump should not been an issue , Unless you referring to the Egr , However with PD ( BRM ) you have very tight margins with the cam loops , the BRM very specific about it's oil ( 505.01 / 5w40 ) and if you dont know the history of it you might looking at cam , You will also need a ***+ Hex to talk to it when it comes to debugging .

ALH dont have the Cam / loops but watch for the Pump ( pretty darn ***** to rebuild ) and the soot build up in the EGR cuts it's performance big time unless u do delete.

Now the mac daddy of all is what i call the evil cousin of all ..Is the infamous BHW under the hood of my wife Passat Wagon .

You must be registered for see images attach

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The tandem pump sticks out the side of the head, which will be towards the firewall. All the swaps I have seen, this has caused firewall clearance issues. The only way to get around this is to push the engine forward, then you have to push the trans forward or maker a thicker adapter plate. The ALH does have stuff sticking off that side of the engine block, but not nearly as bad. It will have a full EGR delete, the whole intake will be cleaned out. I have done the easy seals on a VE pump, not super big deal. I do have VCDS, so I should be set as far as that is concerned.

The BHW, once some big money is dumped into it, is a good engine! LOL Oil pump, BSM, Cam (all PD's have this problem). Then trans issues...

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tandem pump sticks out the side of the head, which will be towards the firewall. All the swaps I have seen, this has caused firewall clearance issues. The only way to get around this is to push the engine forward, then you have to push the trans forward or maker a thicker adapter plate. The ALH does have stuff sticking off that side of the engine block, but not nearly as bad. It will have a full EGR delete, the whole intake will be cleaned out. I have done the easy seals on a VE pump, not super big deal. I do have VCDS, so I should be set as far as that is concerned.

The BHW, once some big money is dumped into it, is a good engine! LOL Oil pump, BSM, Cam (all PD's have this problem). Then trans issues...

Now i see how you are going to mount the Block ..Just like the Passat since the ford is a rear wheel .Make sense . in that case the PD wont work for you ..I will be watching the progress ..These ALH pumps are like the IDI static and you fine tune them with the torsion value in your measuring block

The BHW had BSM delete and i decoded the Tranny shift pat to Sport to prevent pre mature shifting which cause the slush box problem known down the road . Now the cam surprised me the other day after the oil change i hared the notorious PD exhaust loop fail .So am planing to pull the Valve cover and inspect it ... Hoping to sell it 2 . She want a sedan rather than a wagon

Good luck

FordGuy100

Reaction score

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk about a great time for a timing belt. Quite a pain to do in the car IMO. Probably be easier in an explorer though.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
For sure, before its all said and done it will get a timing belt.

I'm sure with accessories on the TDI it will look better, but right now that V6 looks massive compared!

I think I will have to notch the oil pan by the diff, hard to tell in the picture though.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
So I got the engine bay all cleaned up of the random wiring and what not, and set the TDI into place. Clearance issues: TDI's vacuum pump with the AC lines going into the evaporator (back of engine bay), factory drivers side motor mount will not work and interfers with the alternator (in stock TDI position). AC pump wont work in TDI position, but the 4.0 puts its AC compressor in almost the exact same place the TDI puts the power steering pump. Other than that, talk about a chit ton of room to work with. No interference with the diff either.

bottom turbo clearance

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mounting it the way you did with the TB forward and the turbo on the passenger side is perfect. So easy to work on. Nice work!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks really good. Have you decided what you are doing for a trans yet?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I measured out the distance between where the trans shifter should go through and the back of the block, it was 21-24" (21" extreme front, 24" ideal). That gets rid of a few trans options for me. An ax15, or r150f might be the way to go. I am waiting for measurements for a m5od-r2, but looking at pictures I think the shifter is mounted much to far forward.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So going manual instead of auto. I like it. You'll be fabing a clutch pedal probably because that style exploder I think was auto only. Not a huge deal with all the after market stuff out there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7