tax on wvo.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a bunch of :bs .

I hope they fight it and that this makes national news in a big way and they raise a big stink over it to embarrass the state and force them to change their regulations quickly.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
this is the whole reason i keep all my receipts when i buy fuel!!! it will come to this for all home brewers. at least the senator is trying to help?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
theres a second part of that story where they went to congress and are working on getting a bill passed that would make WVO untaxable for personal use

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
theres a second part of that story where they went to congress and are working on getting a bill passed that would make WVO untaxable for personal use

that would be great i just have a hard time believeing uncle sam would let go of anything that he could tax.....

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my understanding, biodiesel is taxed at the same rate as petroleum based diesel fuel in the US, but on the federal level, homebrewers have an exemption on fed. taxes up to 440 gallons/quarter, the state may want their money, or may let it slide. I had an acquaintance that was big into biodiesel in college and his impression from talking with the important people in Tallahasse was that the tax is technically owed, but they generally let it slide since there is no mechanism in place to collect it. But I do agree with h20DRX, it will eventually be required...or homebrewing will be banned or curtailed. Lets hope they just send us a form to pay the taxes every quarter or at the end of the FY. I would do that; I would still be $$ ahead of oump diesel. bio or otherwise.

JOAT

Reaction score
From my understanding, biodiesel is taxed at the same rate as petroleum based diesel fuel in the US, but on the federal level, homebrewers have an exemption on fed. taxes up to 440 gallons/quarter,

...snip.

Thats a common mis-interpretation. Blenders can blend up to 400 gal/qtr without paying the fuel tax themselves. The separate event of putting it in a highway vehicle fuel tank is not exempted at all. 24 cents per gallon on IRS form 720. There is more detail in the VegOil Laws link in the bottom of my sig

sassyrel

Reaction score
joat--from what i read--its 400 gal---PER DRIVING PERSON of the household----and as you said---this is for federal only--not state--iowa has nothing in place to collect them at this point----

hugeredford

snow drift buster
Reaction score
Illinois government has a little to much time on their hands. rod just came up with a new gross reciepts tax on all small businesses with over 2 million a year GROSS income but guess whos exempted-doctors, drug companies, traders on the chicago board, and so on. blagojevich is one crooked motha------

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a bunch of freakin' LOSERS! Sending two agents out to intimidate an elderly couple on a fixed income like that. And for what? Doing something to save a few pennies and promote energy independance?!?

Somebody oughtta' fire their worthless behinds - or WORSE. And their boss too - either for sending them out there or for not knowing what kind crap the heavy-handed thugs working for him are up to....

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well to keep this thread alive.... I did some research about getting legal here in Florida. It turns out we do have a mechanism to collect the tax after all, though that may not have been true back in 2005. Now you are supposed to get the wholesaler and blender license. The tax rate is 28.5 cents per gallon state and I got a contact to talk to with the feds. Only thing that concerns me is that they might fine me or even imprison me for previous taxes owed. I wish they would just send you a form to pay the road tax instead of making you go through such a huge load of red tape to get at a "license" to homebrew fuel.

tgatch

Reaction score
The investigators spotted Teixeira's passing bumper sticker: "Powered by 100% vegetable oil."

Keep a low pro and noone knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online