Tatered 6.9...sucking water

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
So, it's time not to tear down my 6.9, have the heads checked and refreshed, and some rings and bearings. I have a few questions...

Does anyone locally have a compression tester for these I might be able to borrow, maybe for a case of beer or some cash or???

The head studs I've read about, is that something mostly important on turbo'd models? Or is it something I should do, having no plans of installing a turbo.

If head studs are not so much a necessity, should the head bolts be replaced? I know I've used them a few times over, not knowing one way or another.

Is having the block pressure tested something that can be done, to verify there are no holes in the cylinder walls? If so, anyone local have any recommendations?

This motor has possibly over 500k, it's had rings and bearings and an oil pump at about 300, along with heads, which have been replaced once since then. It has run upside down for about 15-20 seconds;Sweet, once, which was about 25k ago. Otherwise it's well maintained.

Thanks for any input anyone may have.

Chris

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Running it upside down may have caused some internal damage but check it for this before you try a rebuild. The ARP studs are very good insurance that the heads will say down. The stock head bolts are the weak link in this motor. Summit sells the stud kit cheaper than ARP can because they buy in volume.... Follow the ARP instructions or the torque wont be correct and make sure you buy their Moly lube for the studs... It works so much better than 30 wt oil... The studs can be reused many times without failure... Can't say that about the stock bolts...

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock head bolts are not TTY on the 6.9, but I think they are on the 7.3. I have no idea why anyone would not have plans for a turbocharger in the future, but if you don't want one, the head studs are not needed. Even the 6.9 head bolts will survive if you keep the boost pressure below 10 PSI.

The possible problem with the factory bolts is the ones on the outside of the head tend to get pitted with rust and those ones may have to be replaced depending on how bad they are. Although at 500k miles, maybe a new set is a good idea anyway.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Supposedly the head bolts are reusable, but first time I had a set of heads off, I went to torque them down and a couple of the bolts tried to pull through,so out they came and new bolts went in. Lesson learned.
If you need bolts( or studs) this place has pretty decent prices on complete sets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent