Talk me out of going deeper in this motor

Torinojts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at my post. Noise sounds a lot like mine.
Re-ring...nozzle issues??? Tired of project

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that bearing issues will change in tone depending on load - from deceleration to acceleration you should get some difference...
I wonder if it's an exhaust leak somewhere?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
is what that sounded like.
Or, perhaps a collapsed/failing lifter?

Honestly, you could try something like throw a couple quarts of Marvel Mystery Oil in there and see if it makes a difference over a couple hundred miles - it'll free up sticky lifters.

If you have the valve covers off, fire the engine up and watch the rockers(and oil coming out) for consistency.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried MMO when I first got the truck. I have had it now for almost 3 years and its been doing this the whole time. When I had the valve covers off last week I checked everything for tightness, rolled all the pushrods around in my hand, and ran it through several revolutions with the starter looking for anything out of the ordinary. It looked nice and clean in the valve train. I did not pull the rockers and actually inspect undersides for wear or pull the pushrods. I wish now that I had
With new pump and injectors the engine sounds much better overall and that makes it easier to hear the tick. It is definitely louder at startup and quiets as oil pressure builds

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have thought it was a lifter ever since purchase. What I didn't find with valve covers off was any difference in movement of any of the rockers, any noises, or difference in how the pushrods felt as the engine moved through the rotation. I guess I needed to have pulled the intake and valley pan to make sure.
I was talking to another mechanic friend about it yesterday and he said if its making noise that means its still running so I should stop complaining! He had diagnosed is as a worn rocker by ear when I first bought it 3 years ago.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It's possible for a lifter to "feel fine" by hand, but still have a weak internal spring. In your original post, you said that you have no idea how many miles are on your engine. Now, with what you've done so far, I'm leaning toward a weak spring in a lifter. It's possible that oil pressure is acting like a Band Aid for one weak lifter spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online