Tailight and Brake Light Problem

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...my IDI gave me a headache today. Things seem to have been working normally but when i plugged my boat in today I noticed that the taillights on my truck didn't work either. Actually, there was no power to the whole back of the truck, tailights, flashers, brake lights, nothing. What I am wondering is there a harness that connects the front electric system to the back? Or else is there a fuse that controls all this? I think its possible that when I was working on my fuel tank selector swiotch that I knocked loose some stuff. I see a harness under teh steering wheel with three(I think) wires just sort of hanging loose down there? Any opinions? Thanks,
J.D.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the rear lights revert to working properly when you disconnected the boat trailer?

If so, I would check the plug and see if each pin is hooked up properly, then look at the trailer...maybe a bad ground between the trailer and the truck?

Just an idea...

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check at the back of the truck. There is a harness that runs back, then there's a connector near the rear of the left frame rail that hooks to the rear harness. You may have simply pulled the connector apart.

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Had a 91 in the shop that did the same thing. His turned out the connector at the back of the headlight switch was melted. The extra load from the trailer lights kept poping fuses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online