Tachometer Add on

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to add a tachometer to my ‘85? It’s got a T-19 and I would really like to see how she is idling and to know when I’m about to be in the red.

Additionally, I remember someone on here, maybe @Thewespaul, saying to drive it like you stole it to keep her happy. A little annoying doing it without a tach.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Automater. Wasn't that a character in the movie "Cars"? Voiced by Larry the Cable Guy?

carsonlhammond

Full Access Member
Reaction score

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 86 I swapped in a factory tach dash and installed the sensor in the engine. That was many years ago but I believe it was plug and play.
You truck had the plug in the harness but not the tach? I think I’m going to have to wire it myself on my 83

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Or swap the fuel pump gear housing. It seems to me my 86 had the sensor location in the gear housing with a plug instead of a sensor. And the wire was there both on the engine and dash end. But as I said that was at least 15 years ago so my memory could be off.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most standard trucks without a tach won’t have a sensor location on the timing cover so you have to use the autometer kit that pulls the signal off the alternator

Mine has one and what looks to be a sensor in it already, Two wires coming out and a connector in the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86