Tach sensor and rev limit spring

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a two part post. First off, when my tach sensor was working I noticed that my engine has a rev limit of about 2400 to 2800. The PO must have replaced the IP and got one with a low rpm limit. I'd like to get a replacement spring to get me into the 3500 to 3800 rpm range. The truck is still a work in progress so when I get a little closer to having it on the road I will be asking around for a spring.

The second part is that I am in the process of attempting to build an inexpensive alternative to replace my failing tach sensor. I'd prefer not to share details on it until I have had a chance to verify whether it will work or not, but I will say that if it works out the way I plan then it will be a direct replacement for the stock unit. I am currently waiting on one part to come in then I can test functionality and decide on the best method for mounting it. Assuming everything falls in place without too many issues, this setup could cost anywhere from $10 to $40. The cost is going to depend on the material required to make it function properly. The best part of it is that it will be something you can do/build in your garage and it's amazingly simple.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
David, it certainly sounds like the PO replaced the IP with a IH truck spec unit with the low RPM govener. I don't know where to get a Ford truck spec spring, but I'm sure there will be one here when needed.

I look foward to seeing the tach sender you are developing. Sounds better than spending more at Ford.

Keep us posted.

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online