Tach Idea

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience or heard of this thing...

My first thought is to get a gasser instrument cluster with a tach and use this thing to make the tach work. It seems like everything else in the cluster would be the same. Not sure what kind of signal the factory gas tach takes.

Or I was looking at this...

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of Dakota Digital, they've been around for a number of years. Was considering using this from them if I eventually do a Cat or Cummins re-power vs spending $225 for the Cummins Tach adaptor from Autoworldmt.

Can't help you more than that on the cluster swap.

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
All you really need is tha tach from an diesel cluster (they're out there) and a IP gear cover with the sensor. It's possible that your gear cover already has the mounting threads for a sensor and may just have a metal plug screwed into it. I'm somewhere in the middle of this mod since I already mounted my factory tach in the dash and have the parts to change the gear cover - just haven't had the time to install it completely yet.

Check out this thread for more info.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17833

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All you really need is tha tach from an diesel cluster (they're out there) and a IP gear cover with the sensor. It's possible that your gear cover already has the mounting threads for a sensor and may just have a metal plug screwed into it. I'm somewhere in the middle of this mod since I already mounted my factory tach in the dash and have the parts to change the gear cover - just haven't had the time to install it completely yet.

Check out this thread for more info.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17833

My cover doesnt have a spot for the tach sensor. I have been looking since I got the truck but havent found anything. If I could make this work I would be gold, I know where there is a stock gas tach for cheap. I am just not sure it will work. The marine tach would be a cheap alternative that I know would work. tough choice.

slicknic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cover doesnt have a spot for the tach sensor. I have been looking since I got the truck but havent found anything. If I could make this work I would be gold, I know where there is a stock gas tach for cheap. I am just not sure it will work. The marine tach would be a cheap alternative that I know would work. tough choice.
Did you ever try this? I bought a cheap stock gasser one on ebay to give it a try

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell my tach just up and quit working. I need to get a new sensor for it. The tach was one of the few guages that did work in my truck.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well ifn no one else chimes in with a timing cover with tach sensor, I have one. Not sure what they are worth but $40 bucks + shipping ok?

I don't have a diesel tach for ya sorry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online