tach died then came back on?

cumminstrk

Reaction score
i was driving this morning when i felt a surge like i pushed a little extra on the throttle, then it did it again i looked at the gauges and all were working except for the tach then it jumped from working to not working and the surges quit after about 5 times but the check engine light came on and after i parked it for a while and started it back up it ran fine the rest of the way home, i turned the key to check codes and came up with p 1693 thats all i seen, any help on what to look for? thank you

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Originally posted by cumminstrk
i was driving this morning when i felt a surge like i pushed a little extra on the throttle, then it did it again i looked at the gauges and all were working except for the tach then it jumped from working to not working and the surges quit after about 5 times but the check engine light came on and after i parked it for a while and started it back up it ran fine the rest of the way home, i turned the key to check codes and came up with p 1693 thats all i seen, any help on what to look for? thank you
Although I'm only familiar with Powerstrokes and don't know what your codes mean...when the tach stops working on our trucks it usually is a faulty Cam Position Sensor (CPS).

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by cumminstrk

The code "1693" means thats theres a fault in the Cummins ECU - It has set a code, but I wouldnt be too worried about that one. Unhook the batteries for 30 minutes or so and see if that fixes you up, otherwise, these engine have a Crank position sensor down below that fuel filter that is prone to go out. I think there might be a cam position sensor too but I'm not sure where thats at. It's my understanding that the Cummins ECU gets all in timing and RPM data from the cranshaft position sensor and it them uses the CC bus [sp?] to send the RPM info to the dash panel.

Code 1693 is quite common for an overboost code also.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the tach is also controlled by the ipc module...the cluster itself is a module that some items run through bus data from ecm to bcm to cluster....you may have to check codea in other modules also....just a tip