Tach and tranny issues.

chumwon

Reaction score
Hello again everyone! Within the last couple of days I noticed when I first start my truck the tach doesn't move until it revs past 1,000 rpm. once you drive it a bit the tach goes back to normal. The same day this happened my OD light came on for a min and didn't seem like the TC was wanting to lock.. only does it once or twice before she's been running a bit then its fine. Might even shift a little harder too. Anyone else ran into this before? Thanks in advance!

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck did the light and tc issue when the speedo went out. But the trans needs stready input from both to work properly. I read some people removing the tach sensor on injection pump cover and cleaning to remedy it. If that doesn't work go to the junkyard and pull a tachometer from a truck and swap it out. I can confirm the speedo between the diesel and gasser is the same for my 92 but you'd have to see if the tach uses the same 3 print push in connector. If so I'd assume a glass tach would work it would just have a different range set

chumwon

Reaction score
Ahhh alright I'll pull the plug out of the front cover and try to clean it first an see where that gets me. I believe I found it behind vacuum pump with 2 wires. Thanks a lot sidewinded!

gandalf

Reaction score
Behind the vacuum pump? Unless we have a great different in terminology that's not it. It's on the IP gear tower at the front of the engine. I'll attach a picture.

You must be registered for see images attach

chumwon

Reaction score
That's the one! My vacuum pump sits right in front of it hiding it, that's what I was meaning by that. Thanks for the picture sir!

Behind the vacuum pump? Unless we have a great different in terminology that's not it. It's on the IP gear tower at the front of the engine. I'll attach a picture.

You must be registered for see images attach

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The serpentine belt IDI's, the vacuum pump sits on top, between the A/C Compressor and the IP Gear tower. On the V-Belt IDI's it's below the alternator on the passenger side......

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My bet is the tach sender as pictured is going bad. You can remove it to clean off the small metal particles it picks up from the gears and oil spray. But usually its telling you I'm about to fail.ebay has them as do most Ford dealers or any International Navistar shop.that's where our engines came from so they will stock these.

chumwon

Reaction score
I did remove it today and clean it but still didn't work for first few minutes of being cold. I'll look into where an how much a sender is. Thanks!