T444e problems

Jeffs

Reaction score
I have a 97 international rollback and have been chasing down problems for a year or so. The problem I am having is fuel related I think. I have replaced the fuel filter and pre strainer, fuel pump, cam position sensor and accelerator peddle. I have had the injectors checked and they checked out to be good. The problem I am having is when going up a hill or being in a situation where I need Wide open throttle it dies when I let off the accelerator peddle. Or at least runs rough and chatters loudly for a while. It seems to get worse the farther I go. Over the past year or so, I have had it into several shops but no luck on getting it fixed. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I would be checking the IPR and ICP sensor for proper operation.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 international rollback and have been chasing down problems for a year or so. The problem I am having is fuel related I think. I have replaced the fuel filter and pre strainer, fuel pump, cam position sensor and accelerator peddle. I have had the injectors checked and they checked out to be good. The problem I am having is when going up a hill or being in a situation where I need Wide open throttle it dies when I let off the accelerator peddle. Or at least runs rough and chatters loudly for a while. It seems to get worse the farther I go. Over the past year or so, I have had it into several shops but no luck on getting it fixed. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

So the truck has power at WOT but then shuts off when you let off of the pedal?

Jeffs

Reaction score
Yes. It runs smooth and has continued power until I top the hill and let off. UPDATE. yesterday, after my post I took off the streighner attached to the fuel bowl. It had a good amount of trash in it. I also took off the block on the front of the fuel bowl and cleaned out the small aspirin size screen. Also shot carb cleaner in it. After reinstalling, I took it for a test drive. It did run better and I drove all day at different times. It did not die any bit it still “after WOT” had a loaping miss when I stopped. Then, after a few minutes smoothed back out. Not sure how accurate the test drive was because I didn’t have anything loaded. Gonna drive again today and see if it does any better.

ANOTHER UPDATE: drove rollback to town about 30 miles. It ran ok but still had a rough idle when stopped. On the way back it stalled out at a light (where it always does) after WOT up an elevated stretch of road. It took about 5 minutes of cranking but eventually started. For the remaining 10 miles i didn’t go WOT any but held at 3/4 and no stall but could hear injectors chattering after a few hills.

Last edited:

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. It runs smooth and has continued power until I top the hill and let off. UPDATE. yesterday, after my post I took off the streighner attached to the fuel bowl. It had a good amount of trash in it. I also took off the block on the front of the fuel bowl and cleaned out the small aspirin size screen. Also shot carb cleaner in it. After reinstalling, I took it for a test drive. It did run better and I drove all day at different times. It did not die any bit it still “after WOT” had a loaping miss when I stopped. Then, after a few minutes smoothed back out. Not sure how accurate the test drive was because I didn’t have anything loaded. Gonna drive again today and see if it does any better.

ANOTHER UPDATE: drove rollback to town about 30 miles. It ran ok but still had a rough idle when stopped. On the way back it stalled out at a light (where it always does) after WOT up an elevated stretch of road. It took about 5 minutes of cranking but eventually started. For the remaining 10 miles i didn’t go WOT any but held at 3/4 and no stall but could hear injectors chattering after a few hills.

can you log data while this is occuring?

Next time it stalls out, measure the oil level in the HPO reservoir through the inspection plug. Should be no lower than 1" from the top.

Also check if the fuel bowl is full.

Jeffs

Reaction score
I have checked the fuel bowl and it has been full. Not sure where the inspection plug is but I will find out. I can almost guarantee a stall at a certain location. I’ll check it and report back ASAP.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have checked the fuel bowl and it has been full. Not sure where the inspection plug is but I will find out. I can almost guarantee a stall at a certain location. I’ll check it and report back ASAP.

inspection plug is on top of the HPO reservoir, need an allen key to remove. Oil should be pretty close to the top, if it's low when the truck stalls then I'd suspect the LPOP can't keep up with oil demand.

Jeffs

Reaction score
ANOTHER UPDATE: last night, I changed the oil and filter. Today, I drove back to town and it ran much better. With exception of the rough idle, at a stop. On the way back, I tried to run harder and more WOT. Although I was prepared to check the HPOP oil level, it never stalled out. This is with no load on the bed. I’m going to move my excavator tomorrow and I’ll report back on how it ran after that.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ANOTHER UPDATE: last night, I changed the oil and filter. Today, I drove back to town and it ran much better. With exception of the rough idle, at a stop. On the way back, I tried to run harder and more WOT. Although I was prepared to check the HPOP oil level, it never stalled out. This is with no load on the bed. I’m going to move my excavator tomorrow and I’ll report back on how it ran after that.

oil level could have been low or poor oil quality. Fresh oil does wonders for these HEUI engines

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
oil level could have been low or poor oil quality. Fresh oil does wonders for these HEUI engines
In a medium duty like that, I would aim for 250hrs/2500 miles or so. Definitely harder on the oil than in a pickup.
Could also come down to a oil quality issue. I would run a cleaner/additive for a few changes.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a medium duty like that, I would aim for 250hrs/2500 miles or so. Definitely harder on the oil than in a pickup.
Could also come down to a oil quality issue. I would run a cleaner/additive for a few changes.

2500 miles?

Throwing away money imo, i'd do at least 5k with a good synthetic oil. I run rotella 5w-40 @ 5k intervals (about an oil change per year for me) If i drove more I'd stretch it out to 10k miles.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
2500 miles?

Throwing away money imo, i'd do at least 5k with a good synthetic oil. I run rotella 5w-40 @ 5k intervals (about an oil change per year for me) If i drove more I'd stretch it out to 10k miles.
Kinda depends. Our dumptrucks see a lot of idle time.
At least I aimed for 250hrs. Almost never happened.
For being a fairly large fleet, I recommended oil samples. But that'll likely never happen either.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda depends. Our dumptrucks see a lot of idle time.
At least I aimed for 250hrs. Almost never happened.
For being a fairly large fleet, I recommended oil samples. But that'll likely never happen either.

what oil did you use ?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yup I run 250hrs on my 7.3 psd service trucks/wreckers with mobil 1 5w-40 and with a clean good running engine I will go 250hrs on dino oil 15-40 also
Sometimes that's less then 3000miles with lots of idle time. And idle time can load up the oil with un-burnt fuel particulate and such especially with worn injectors...which as we know there are a lot of out there

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86