T19

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Taking down numbers for suppliers for my trans swap, I found the overdrive unit, a T19 w/ 5.11, 3.03, 1.79, and 1:1 gearing, and a couple buddys willing to help.

This gearsplit was an option in 83&84, and after crunching numbers, seems to be the best. I know I still need to find a bellhousing, but can I get a parts list for the clutch? Anything else I'll need?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is cracked where the fork goes. Its a couple inches long, but i've been driving like that forever. weld it up and you'll be good as new...
Seems to me this is not an uncommon issue at all. However, wasn't there also an aluminum bell housing used on some trucks? Would that be better/stronger? Also, if you don't mind, can you take a picture of your damaged area - if I ever get around to the 4-spd swap and find a non-cracked housing I'd like to know where to beef it up so it never gives me trouble. Google images has not been very useful for this.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Seems to me this is not an uncommon issue at all. However, wasn't there also an aluminum bell housing used on some trucks? Would that be better/stronger? Also, if you don't mind, can you take a picture of your damaged area - if I ever get around to the 4-spd swap and find a non-cracked housing I'd like to know where to beef it up so it never gives me trouble. Google images has not been very useful for this.

Actually mine is aluminum...

The cracking is going out from the opening for the cluch fork. It's pretty thin there...

You must be registered for see images attach

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see someone already welded up old cracks, just to get new ones develop right next to welds. It appears there is enough clearance around the opening to allow 1/8"-thick strips of flat stock to be welded on to reinforce the thin walls, so that's what I'd be attempting even if the housing I get ain't cracked.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I see someone already welded up old cracks, just to get new ones develop right next to welds. It appears there is enough clearance around the opening to allow 1/8"-thick strips of flat stock to be welded on to reinforce the thin walls, so that's what I'd be attempting even if the housing I get ain't cracked.

Yep, although it's possible they didn't prep it right and just caused different stress points. I think you'd be fine if you welded a C shaped piece that went from the back, around the top and bottom to help take the load from the clutch fork pivot...

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Could someone with a T19 in an 80-97 cab post a picture of the gear selector? I want a reference as to where it will come up and google isn't giving me what I need.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Actually mine is aluminum...

The cracking is going out from the opening for the cluch fork. It's pretty thin there...

You must be registered for see images attach

On my truck the bell was cracked, and would really move when the clutch was pushed in. What I did was bolt a piece of angle iron between the two trans to bell bolts, and drill a hole in the center of it lined up with the back of the pivot ball. I put a bolt through this hole and tightened it up against the pack of the pivot ball......no more movement, and it has been several years.

Would probably be a good mod to keep them from cracking.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Necromancing this thread with a stupid question - I know mixing DMF and SMF parts is less than ideal, but can a DMF (Valeo to be exact) be used with 11" T19 clutch and pressure plate? If not possible, then where do ya'll T18/19 folks get your new flywheels from?

Edit: Justinray, do you have any pics of your shifters with the Ranger installed?

Last edited:

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Necromancing this thread with a stupid question - I know mixing DMF and SMF parts is less than ideal, but can a DMF (Valeo to be exact) be used with 11" T19 clutch and pressure plate? If not possible, then where do ya'll T18/19 folks get your new flywheels from?

Edit: Justinray, do you have any pics of your shifters with the Ranger installed?

Im not sure who to blame just yet, but either High Impact, or Advance Adapters are giving me the runaround and now the ranger wont be here til 6/21.
Which may not be too bad because I'm finding more parts for the truck in the meantime, but its annoying.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 6.9L bellhousing I'd like to trade for a 460 one...For a T-19...

DO NOT FORGET.....351M/400 have same bell housing pattern as 460:D

Just saying, you open more doors with more knowledge!

Look to older say early 80's trucks with a 351M 4sp!

Black dawg

Reaction score
DO NOT FORGET.....351M/400 have same bell housing pattern as 460:D

Just saying, you open more doors with more knowledge!

Look to older say early 80's trucks with a 351M 4sp!

They are the same bell pattern, but the 460 clutch/flywheel wont fit in the 351m/400 bell with out work (usually a spacer).