T-19B Four Speed Diesel Transmission Low RPM noise.

cody3700s

Reaction score
Hello all,

My 85 250 6.9 has a really elaborate grinding noise coming from the transmission/clutch area. I'm getting a grinding noise at low RPM's for each gear ratio. Not sure if it's transmission main bearings, clutch throw out bearing, or pilot bearing. Clutch pedal feels good and strong, truck shifts fine and when you put the coal to her and run the RPMs up, the grinding stops. Also makes the noise in reverse. Recently changed tranny fluid and replaced all universals. Didn't think it was the carrier bearing either. That felt pretty good yet. Rear end fluid is also new. Was also wondering if my truck has Dual Mass Fly Wheeles. Noise seems to get quieter when weather is warmer. Looking for answers.

Thanks,
Cody.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah its supposed to be synthetic ATF.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

?? I thought the old 4 speeds took the gear oil.

I would assume even the old 4 speed would give you some gear roll-over noise when you lug the engine a little bit?

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember a noise when I let the engine RPMs get way low, but haven't driven mine for about a year. My solution (cause it didn't seem to do it much in 1st) was to just run it out a little further before shifting. Was fun too cause then you'd actually feel the turbo. Didn't have a tach at the time; will when it runs again soon. Do you know how low your RPMs are when this is happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine started this with a new clutch a few weeks ago. Was absolutely quiet before the new clutch

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somewhere online I found a service manual for the zf-5 in our diesel trucks. Not a t-19, but I found a troubleshooting section listed as follows.

Problem, rattling and growling from transmission below 1000 rpm.

Solution...do not run transmission below 1000 rpm.

Got a kick out of that.

Last edited:

mcghan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i went from dual mass to single mass i thought there was something wrong,now its just normal noise

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor

Members online