t-19 transfer case wont shift into 4wd ?

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a newly acquired 1985 f-250 4x4 t-19; the shifter on the floor wont "lock" into anything but 2wd or N. It will shift into 4h and 4l but wont stay locked in and will slip/spring back into 2wd or N. This is my first 4wd truck so it might be user error, I'm trying to shift into 4h or 4l with the truck not running and the trans in neutral. ??

Truck is a rust bucket from up north... but I scored it for $500 with another fully dressed 7.3 motor. I got it running and driving, just needs a work on the brakes. My first idi in a few years... I regret selling the dually in my sig and avatar.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the shifter style that my 89 has, I have to pull it toward my leg before it will shift into the different 4x4 positions. I had a problem with mine jumping out of low range, and then realized I wasn't having to pull it to my leg to move the lever. Come to find out, the shifter rocks on a large bolt underneath the floor, and this was rusted and frozen. It was stuck over all the time, so it would not fall back and lock into the different "gates" that hold the lever in the correct position.

Get under there and take the shifter off, you will see what I am taking about. Put it on the bench and free it up and it will be back to normal. If you have this style shifter.