Synthetic Oil?

Fishawk

Reaction score
I have had a couple guys tell me I should be running a synthetic oil. When I ask why I never get a solid answer just "because it is better". I have an 02 f350 with about 35k on it light to moderate towing (boat, 4-wheelers). I am using Rottela T with no problems. Change it between 4-5k religously. For you guys running syn. are there good reasons to change? If so I will. When you switch do you need to flush the system, use a different filter? How many miles between changes? If this is truely better oil I will use it. According to my wife this will be the last truck I am allowed to buy so it better last!! I have heard that before, but really if it is better I will run it. Thanks....

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My two cents worth,.......................

You answered your own question;

Fishawk said:
I am using Rottela T with no problems.

Fishawk said:
but really if it is better I will run it

How much better than no problems do you want to get? I'm not anti-synthetic but I am anti messing with a good thing so to speak.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
I'm not anti-synthetic .

i am and wont run it even if i was paid.seen too many good engines ruined by the stuff.i got 3 engines now that leak oil like a faucet was turned on.had no leak till they were switched to synthetic.had to replacea 7.3 IDI after it was changed to synthetic.ill stick with the good old proven dino oil.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I run syn oil in my rigs and have no experienced the "I have oil leaks now" yes I have had some seeping until the seals get conditioned to the syn oil but it typicall only lasted 2 weeks then all was good.

Now when I made the switch to syn oils this is what I did...

I had been having my oil sampled for a while with using conventional motor oil so I had a good base on how my engine was wearing under the use of con. oil.

Then I switched to syn oils using the same filters as before and ran the same interval between changes - then had my oil sampled. After getting back my results from the same lab I seen a decrease in the wear metals - I was impressed so I kept using the oil. I did not base my opinion on just one sample, I used three samples to show me what was going on (complete oil and filter change at each sample just like it was when using con. motor oil).

I have done this on two trucks so far and both times it showed good results.

Now currently I run the house brand of filters from the maker of the syn oil along with their bypass oil system and run the oil for 15k miles between changes with a full flow oil filter change at 7.5k miles then swap out the bypass filter at 15k when the oil is changed. My samples show that I can run longer but I have chosen not to run longer because right now my mileage has dropped to around 15k a year so I figure I should change the oil at least once a year. Which the recommendation from the maker of my oil is at least one change a year.

BTW I use that snake oil stuff AMSOIL but I think that any syn oil is going to be better than con. oil but I would say get a base line est then go from there because I'm a proof is in the pudding kind of guy.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Fishawk, read THIS THREAD of mine from the BITOG forum. I'd hate for you to go through the same experience as I did last summer. The Blackstone link in that post doesn't work so I attached the following report here for your scrutiny. Notice in the 218,236 mile report the elevated lead and copper.

Heed what 95_stroker said. If it ain't broke...leave it alone.

Attachments

• Blackstone Report 224K.jpg
    Blackstone Report 224K.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
argve said:
Now currently I run the house brand of filters from the maker of the syn oil along with their bypass oil system and run the oil for 15k miles between changes with a full flow oil filter change at 7.5k miles then swap out the bypass filter at 15k when the oil is changed. My samples show that I can run longer but I have chosen not to run longer because right now my mileage has dropped to around 15k a year so I figure I should change the oil at least once a year. Which the recommendation from the maker of my oil is at least one change a year.

Travis,

Based on this schedule, are you money ahead, break even or money behind dino oil?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ah very good question Mike - I would expect nothing less...

Ok the final tally is as follows...

Going by past reciepts it costs me 6 cents a mile to run my current setup and 8 cents a mile to run dead dinos sticking with a 5 thousand mile change interval. So it's actually cheaper to run syn oils but not that much cheaper. (I did include the shipping costs when I did my figures)...

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
Fishawk said:
I have had a couple guys tell me I should be running a synthetic oil. When I ask why I never get a solid answer just "because it is better". I have an 02 f350 with about 35k on it light to moderate towing (boat, 4-wheelers). I am using Rottela T with no problems. Change it between 4-5k religously. For you guys running syn. are there good reasons to change? If so I will. When you switch do you need to flush the system, use a different filter? How many miles between changes? If this is truely better oil I will use it. According to my wife this will be the last truck I am allowed to buy so it better last!! I have heard that before, but really if it is better I will run it. Thanks....

I have read MANY MANY posts on this topic...What I hear the most from Syn. guys is that it has an easier startup especially in cold conditions and some say that it runs "quieter." As far as the leak deal goes...As I understand it Dino oil leaves soft deposits...after long periods of time these soft deposits build up. So say you switch from Dino to Syn. @ 100k miles, the synthetic "cleans" these soft deposits out of the engine which is why some guys are seeing leaks with the change. I have read about guys that change from Dino to Syn with over 200k miles and see no leaks so it seems to be a hit and miss kind of thing. Personally, I run Delo 400 15w40 and will continue running it till this truck explodes. I have GREAT blackstone reports with this oil so I think the results speak for themselves. If you are going to change your oil every 4-5k miles, I would definetely stick with the dino oil. When it comes to the extended oil changes...While on paper it may be completely fine, I just dont feel comfortable leaving oil in my motor for 15k-25k miles...thats just me be me but I love knowing that I have a fresh change of oil running through it...peace of mind :thumbsup:

A couple of months ago my girlfriends 4Runner's alt. took a crap on us on I-5. AAA showed up with an IH flatbed truck with the DT466 motor...of course I struck up diesel talk with the driver on our 80 mile trip home :D He was quite knowledgeable about diesel's and such...I asked him what oil they run and he told me Delo 400 15w40 and that they typically held onto a truck until it hit 500k before selling it. Another point for Dino! :thumbsup: Not saying synthetic is junk by any means, but if a large tow company runs regular ol' dino, can't be all that bad...

Good Luck,
Casey

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
argve said:
Ah very good question Mike - I would expect nothing less...

Ok the final tally is as follows...

Going by past reciepts it costs me 6 cents a mile to run my current setup and 8 cents a mile to run dead dinos sticking with a 5 thousand mile change interval. So it's actually cheaper to run syn oils but not that much cheaper. (I did include the shipping costs when I did my figures)...
Thats 6 of one and a half dozen of the other then huh?

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Well, I am for synthetic for a couple of reasons. One, I have logged about a 750,000 on it in gassers. First car sold at 345,000 miles and is still running (83 Chevy Celebrity 2.8), second, Chevy S10 2.5 liter given to family member with 274,000 (currently not running, radiator leak, ran with no coolant for over 20 miles, cracked cylinder head but remainder of engine checked out fine), last car sold at 174,000 and still running and current vehicle with about 60,000 on the clock and of course still running. This is not to mention the "other" vehicles I have running it, parents cars, sisters cars etc.

When working in the machine shop, we did many state patrol vehicles which are put on synthetic following a short break in period. We worked on Chevy and Ford Modulars and saw next to NO wear in these engines after 200,000 or so miles. We mostly cleaned them up, got them ready for reassembly and such after checking everything out, and they went out to be re-assembled. Kind of like major preventative maintenence. They were reassembled with new rings and gaskets, ran on dino for the first 3,000 miles and then again switched to synthetic.

I run 10,000 miles on a quality filter and then change the whole works. Money wise it is cheaper to run synthetic, but quality wise, I think the longevity of my vehicles speaks for that. I have NEVER experienced any leakage problems and such as other have reported. I will say if you have an oil leak prior to adding synthetic, you will have a worse one after adding it, but I attribute that to synthetics ability to flow better anyway.

My uncle switched to synthetic and lost an oil seal. He did it on a vehicle that had over 100,000 miles on it with dino. He swears synthetic did it and has pointed me to several articles showing similar results. Personally, I have not had those problems. I did have to replace the timing gear in my Celebrity after about 224,000 miles as the nylon gear gave up the ghost. The inside of the engine was absolutely clean, had a bronze color to it and was well within tolerance on cylinder and cam lift measurements.

Just my .02 and yes, once the oil leaks on my 6.9 have been stopped, head gaskets replaced or other motor transplanted, it will get synthetic. At this point, I don't care to watch it run out as fast as I pour it in! :)

On edit: I use Wix filters, I purchase them from www.filter1.com, regardless of what type of oil I use. Yes, they are a little more money but a good filter. When considering my oil change costs, I change dino every 3,000 miles, synthetic every 10,000 miles. So in the same mileage window, for dino I am using 3 1/3 filters, plus the same in oil. In synthetic, I am using 1 filter and one change of oil. I buy Syntec at 18.00 per 5 quart container, dino costs about $6.00 for same. So, in essence, I am saving about $2.00 on oil in the 10,000 mile run and the cost of 2 1/3 filters!

Last edited:

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
I switched from the Rotella T 15-40 to the 5w-40 syn and noticed much quicker and quieter cold starts. The 15-40 is alarmingly thick at low temps imo, the synthetic is much thinner at lower temps and should be the same at hig temps. I've not had any leaking issues. I have also run synthetic oil of some sort in ever other vehicle I'v owned (motorcycles, trucks, etc....) and never had any issues. Frankly I don't think you'll find anyone who has had legitimate issues caused by a particular type of oil. Its just that you might get slighly better starting with slighly less wear with some oils compared to others. I put very few miles on my truck, 3k a year at most so the additional cost of the synthetic is minimal to me. Oh, I use a FL1995 Filter too.

Darth_Stroker

Reaction score
What about running a synthetic blend like shchaeffers? I've heard there are benefits to both dyno and synth.

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
Darth_Stroker said:
What about running a synthetic blend like shchaeffers? I've heard there are benefits to both dyno and synth.

I asked my local parts guy about synthetic blend and he told me what it was a crock (even though he sells the stuff). He told me that he had been to a couple different places that manuf. the stuff and said they basically take dino oil and shoot a quick shot of synthetic in it...barely any...Take it for what you want, but I can tell you this guy knows his stuff...

-Casey

Jeff Dodson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, it dont matter where you go or what site you go on there is always a discussion about oil's. DINO or SYNTHETIC, which one is better. I dont think there is a better. On my wifes Expedition, I ran WALMART's SUPERTECH OIL with a SUPERTECH FILTER and when we sold it, it had 170,00 miles on it and ran perfect. The only reason we got rid of it is because my youngest daughter could not afford the gas in it. At any rate, we really regret we got rid of it. In fact, when my oldest daughter gradutated boot camp, we drove it all the way to S. Carolina and back with NO problems or worries. I changed the oil every 4,000-5,000 miles.

Now in my Harley Davidson ( POLICE PATROL ) I use ROYAL PURPLE SYNTHETIC, because this thing see's ALOT of heat and SYN oil absorbes the heat very well, in fact this bike has an idle compensator that actuall skips a cylinder when it gets HOT to help cool it down, well sense I have started running the ROYAL PURPLE, this idle compensator has not activated. BTW, I change the oil on my bike every 5,000 miles. Royal Purple says I can change it at 12,000 ( YEA RIGHT, a $18,000 bike ) but I would rather have the piece of mind.

So in short and my OPINION, it depends on what your requirements are if you need SYN OIL or not. But what ever you use, make sure you change the oil regularly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online