Symptoms of TC problems versus mechanical transmission problems

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I must admit I know almost nothing about automatic transmissions. I have spent a vast portion of my 17 years of driving having driven manual transmissions.
The truck in my signature is having shift problems, but how do I decipher if it's the torque converter or the transmission while driving it (I know it's a difficult thing and not super reliable)?

1994 Ford F250 Superduty, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your info is very limited, need more. That transmission has quite a few variables to make it work correctly. I'm not an E40D guy, so someone will be along shortly to further help you but for now, try to repost with a little better info for us.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course there is a lot more to know. I was seeing general information but I'll provide more.
It definitely slips between gears, though to me it seems very slight. There is a bit of a lull between shifts and the rpms will rise slightly but it's not a huge rev. However, today I took it on my first real journey, 90 miles and some city light city driving and the truck handled it well overall. However, towards the end of the journey while I was going down a hill it suddenly down shifted (jumping to 2100 rpms) but shifted back into overdrive quickly

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would a clogged filter cause low line pressure?

Please don't ask questions without first answering previous questions. But to answer yours, YES it would, but if you have a clogged filter, you would not be able to run like like you said in your first post and your trans would be trashed.

It is recommended trans fluid be changed every 40K to 50K miles unless you tow or haul heavy loads, then it should be changed at 30K miles.

You didn't answer what the trans, fluid condition is. Please do that first with the trans cold. Then do this.
Check the fluid level with the truck on level ground, it has to be up to temperature (HOT) with the truck running and in park.

If the fluid is/was low, you could get the erratic shifting that you experienced.

The trans is controlled by the FIPL/TPS, Tach sensor, VSS and MPIL. The FIPL/TPS could have made the erratic shift if it is worn at the spot you had the foot throttle at.

Symptoms of TC problems versus mechanical transmission problems

There is no comparison between the two, as far as operation goes.

Last edited:

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I think there is a misunderstanding. I was actually seeking general information about symptoms of mechanical transmission failures and torque converter failures. I was not asking for you to diagnose my vehicle without proper information or answering questions. Again, sorry.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
TC failing is easy. At idle in Park or Neutral. Do you hear a can of rocks sound. If yes, the internals are coming apart.

Do you get a chatter during lock up. Commonly in fourth gear, but it can happen in third. If yes, the lock up clutch is shot.

Both issues will send a ton of crud through the tranny. Usually ending it pretty quick.

Your soft shifts can come from the following.
Stock accumulator setting. This why we have many shift kits.

Low line pressure. This could be many things. Worn pump. Stuck regulator. Dirty fluid TPS out of adjustment. .
It wont be a clogged filter. If the filter is plugged the tranny will not work.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer the questions though, the transmission fluid is nice and red, and not burnt. It is slightly low, however. I'll add some. Do you pour it down the dipstick tube? Lol

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you had the problem going down hill was your foot resting on the brake pedal? if you depress to break pedal when the torque converter is locked up it will unlock the door converter...

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cannot say with certainty, but it might have happened. That was certainly the first time its done that

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With an E -od pressing the brake pedal (even a little bit will cause the torque converter to momentarily unlocked.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, it hasn't happened since so I am very willing to believe that is what happened then.