switch boards

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Ok with all of the switches I have runnin around in my truck I figured it was about time to make a switch board so I could quit tuckin them here and there where they are a pain to get to.

I have toyed with the idea of hacking the lower right plastic trim piece up but i am scared to hack into that plastic for fear of it breaking, I drive a bunch of bumpy backroads so I want something that will be vibration resistant so it wont crack.

So could yall help me get some creative juices flowing? pics would be awesome

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take the drivers kick pannel off and behind there you can mount it
i put a small fuse block there and its really easy access for me

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made tread-brite panels that screw to the bottom of that flat ledge that runs across the bottom of the 1980-86 dash/panel, both sides of the column.

I made another that resides under the dash, left of the column.

Another resides between the driver-seat and door.

Yet another is above and below the C.B., mounted to the center of the ceiling.

I have more panels located here and yonder; sometimes I have no idea just what a particular switch does. LOL

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the racecar stuff, it's a little expensive sounding, but it's durable.

You can never go wrong with something like this either, I love the rubber toggle covers and they are funtional as well, as my racecar has a cover on the ignition switch only, which is handy when it's dark and you are looking for the starter switch.

http://image.hotrod.com/f/24970046+w750+st0/hrdp_0910_11_z+lakester_race_car+dash_switches.jpg

Good luck whichever way you go.

R. J.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made one up for my old wrecker out of a dash mount gauge pod set. I'll see if I can find a pic of in my files

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Switch boards, I thought he was leaving us.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's one that i originally built for an International Scout 80, then didn't use. And I still haven't put it to use in the squirrel mobile. Fits great as long as you don't have a stick shift. Sorry i could not get it embedded in the post, me and photobucket are not getting along, i can't figure out how to get the size back to normal from the little avatar size.

Attachments

• IMG00392.jpg
    IMG00392.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 21

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I like that idea, but my CB gear is in the way. I want to build a dash gauge pod that will hold my switches as well.

I want to get a shelf it, the overhead storage units....THAT would be COOL!

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Im kinda thinking building one in between the dash gauge pods now. Probably use fiberglass to shape the box and just run the wires under my dash cover

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got this out of a wrecker, I think its for the light bar. They cut out the cubby hole on the lower right on a 92-97 truck and put it there. Looked pretty good.

Attachments

• S2010103.JPG
    S2010103.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 17

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok with all of the switches I have runnin around in my truck I figured it was about time to make a switch board so I could quit tuckin them here and there where they are a pain to get to.

I have toyed with the idea of hacking the lower right plastic trim piece up but i am scared to hack into that plastic for fear of it breaking, I drive a bunch of bumpy backroads so I want something that will be vibration resistant so it wont crack.

So could yall help me get some creative juices flowing? pics would be awesome
How many switches you plan on installing? Check out AlienTurtle's setup, looks pretty slick IMHO. Well other than how he axed one of his vents, he must not realize how useful those are sometimes...

You must be registered for see images attach

Also, if your truck does not have woodgrain panels, get those off a junkyard truck - the woodgrain is just painted and you can sand it off if you don't like it, but the important part is that it's painted on aluminum face covers that sit on top of the plastic - you can drill in those just fine, the aluminum will take lots of the stress away from the plastic and nothing will crack.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin