SUV to convert?

wmoguy

Reaction score
I'm going to sell the wifes Money Pit Kia Sorrento soon!
I plan to replace it with a mid sized SUV which I can convert to a diesel, since none exist from the factory w/ a diesel (sans a newer Jeep)

I need some imigination here as to what type of SUV would make for the easiest conversion and with what Diesel? I"m looking for inexpensive straightforward conversion (as straightforward as something custom can be!) and I'm not looking to make some street rod diesel. Mileage and modest power is all I care about.

Suggestions?

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Get an 80's full size bronco?? I've seen those converted over. I also saw one on CL that had the frame of an IDI F250 truck. Looked like an easy conversion as long as you stick with the same 80's trucks/broncos. I dont know what yer budget is but you could also look into an excursion with the 7.3 powerstroker in it. Or find an excursion with a v10 in it and convert it to a diesel? Probably might be more complicated with all them wires. Also what about finding a centurion bronco?? You can find them with a diesel. My cuz has an 89 centurion bronco thats a 1 ton and has a 7.3 with the banks turbo on it. Pretty sweet ride.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Get an 80's full size bronco?? I've seen those converted over. I also saw one on CL that had the frame of an IDI F250 truck. Looked like an easy conversion as long as you stick with the same 80's trucks/broncos. I dont know what yer budget is but you could also look into an excursion with the 7.3 powerstroker in it. Or find an excursion with a v10 in it and convert it to a diesel? Probably might be more complicated with all them wires. Also what about finding a centurion bronco?? You can find them with a diesel. My cuz has an 89 centurion bronco thats a 1 ton and has a 7.3 with the banks turbo on it. Pretty sweet ride.

ah no go. sorry I should have clarified. the wife really prefers something more midsized. I potentially coudl talk her into a Burb w/ diesel in it already. But if I do a conversion Id do it in something she'd prefer. I.e. 4runner sized SUV

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Oh gotcha. So yer really gettin into a different kind of conversion? That might be tougher.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Other option I'm looking at is a suburban or Tahoe on diesel. If I were to buy a 90s model Tahoe or suburban that has a blown gas motor how hard of a conversion am I looking at to drop in a mechanical injection 6.5 td?

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah no go. sorry I should have clarified. the wife really prefers something more midsized. I potentially coudl talk her into a Burb w/ diesel in it already. But if I do a conversion Id do it in something she'd prefer. I.e. 4runner sized SUV
FJ60 Land Cruiser with a 4BT float anyone's boat?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Will a mini jeep cherokee do? For $355 you can get an adapter plate and crank spacer for a mercedes OM617

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've been toying with the idea on another 'burb with a diesel title and putting in a Isuzu 4cyl turbodiesel and auto trans out of a NPR box truck.:eek:cookoo:D

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
That isn't the cheapest route but a good fit, before the computer crashed I bookmarked a company that sells chevy adapter plates, I thought of a full size NV3500 behind it and drop one in my Jeep J20, the company claimed with a 700r4 it produced 32 mpg at moderate (right lane grandma) highway speeds in a chevy 1500

wmoguy

Reaction score
i've been toying with the idea on another 'burb with a diesel title and putting in a Isuzu 4cyl turbodiesel and auto trans out of a NPR box truck.:eek:cookoo:D

why do you need one with a diesel title? is it related to emissions in your area? Inquiring minds want to know because I've been looking at Burbs to convert, but finding one that's currently a diesel is very hard.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
why do you need one with a diesel title? is it related to emissions in your area? Inquiring minds want to know because I've been looking at Burbs to convert, but finding one that's currently a diesel is very hard.

Yep, Calvin is in Cali.... he needs the diesel title for the SMOG testing exemption. Just like Mel in PA. Otherwise it will still be required to be tested as a gas engine, which it would fail.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, Calvin is in Cali.... he needs the diesel title for the SMOG testing exemption. Just like Mel in PA. Otherwise it will still be required to be tested as a gas engine, which it would fail.
What he said.

No way it could be done in CA, but I think that a late-model Ford Expedition with a 4BT would make a great daily driver...

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
To change engines in CA must be the same year or newer and the same weight class or lighter to get certified

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Just buy a Ford Excursion with the 7.3 stroker in it. Its already been converted for ya! Easy peasy! haha Of course those are goin for a lot but still a cool ride

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online