SUV to convert?

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda surprised noone mentioned the Jeep Grand Wagoneer. You can drop in a 6.2/6.5,go to DMV, fill outa statement of facts that it has been changed to diesel. The DMV person will go out and verify the fuel type,and you're done. You will get a new title with the diesel fuel type and never have to smog again. I am doing that to this one...
You must be registered for see images attach

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A tahoe or blazer 90's model 6.5 can get pretty good mpg after you get the stock turbo out of it.

There is a guy on another site that has an izuzu 4db in a 94 burb claiming ~22mpg, it had a 6.5 but he likes experimenting and might be doing a 4bt to compare.

My 82 1500 6.2 w/ 3.08's and 700R4 got 25 driving around town and +30 on highway. Its rusted out and i sold it to a guy who parted it out somewhat and i bought it back 4yrs later (restoration project).

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other option I'm looking at is a suburban or Tahoe on diesel. If I were to buy a 90s model Tahoe or suburban that has a blown gas motor how hard of a conversion am I looking at to drop in a mechanical injection 6.5 td?

A 6.5 should bolt up in a Suburban .. same as a Z-71 suspension and frame and they came out insome Z-71 p/u 's ... I am fixing to put a5.9 98 12V in a 99 suburban for my sister ... I am going to adapt it to the 4L60E .. all I have to do is hook up a throttle position sensor and a crand speed sensor to be able to work with the trans .... but I want to get a 4L80E from a 6.5 turbo truck and put in it later ..

I did a Toyota Four Runner conversion to a 2.2 litre Isuzu diesel from a 81 chevy luv and added a turbo from a 2.3 litre suburu gasser and it runs like a top and has plenty of power and gets right at 50 mpg on highway and 37 city .... its a 92 Runner and is loaded with sunroof and a/c and cruise and all power door and windows .. if your interested ....

and I had this Four Runner emissions tested and it passed for the year of the vehicle... In 92 the diesel emmissions requirements were minimal ...

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 6.5 should bolt up in a Suburban .. same as a Z-71 suspension and frame and they came out insome Z-71 p/u 's ... I am fixing to put a5.9 98 12V in a 99 suburban for my sister ... I am going to adapt it to the 4L60E .. all I have to do is hook up a throttle position sensor and a crand speed sensor to be able to work with the trans .... but I want to get a 4L80E from a 6.5 turbo truck and put in it later ..

I did a Toyota Four Runner conversion to a 2.2 litre Isuzu diesel from a 81 chevy luv and added a turbo from a 2.3 litre suburu gasser and it runs like a top and has plenty of power and gets right at 50 mpg on highway and 37 city .... its a 92 Runner and is loaded with sunroof and a/c and cruise and all power door and windows .. if your interested ....

and I had this Four Runner emissions tested and it passed for the year of the vehicle... In 92 the diesel emmissions requirements were minimal ...

Personally i would not use a 4l60 behind a turbo diesel, i kill them behind a 95 chevy 305 4x4 let alone your cummins pouring torque to one.

The 94-00 6.5 can be converted to a MFI truck pretty simple with a few junkyard parts. (search bobbie martin 6.5 on google) The 94-95 is by far the easiest as it was still obd1 and had a primative ECU (comparitively). The best route would be get what ever suv you want and a 91-93 6.5-6.2 parts truck. You will need TBI gasser cruise or early 90's mfi 6.5 as well as the pump and fuel injection lines ( a few other small items too). A 94-95 ECM can be reflashed to be tranny control only and have engine temp and other lights still work right.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally i would not use a 4l60 behind a turbo diesel, i kill them behind a 95 chevy 305 4x4 let alone your cummins pouring torque to one.

The 94-00 6.5 can be converted to a MFI truck pretty simple with a few junkyard parts. (search bobbie martin 6.5 on google) The 94-95 is by far the easiest as it was still obd1 and had a primative ECU (comparitively). The best route would be get what ever suv you want and a 91-93 6.5-6.2 parts truck. You will need TBI gasser cruise or early 90's mfi 6.5 as well as the pump and fuel injection lines ( a few other small items too). A 94-95 ECM can be reflashed to be tranny control only and have engine temp and other lights still work right.

well now I am probably going to go with the 5-speed manual trans .. just found a 95 Chevy donor truck on CL for 500... whole truck with blown head gasket... everything I will need to do the conversion ... I could even get a front case half for the dodge NV4500 and the dodge cummins input shaft and make it a bolt together setup ...
With the very low mileage '98 12V cummins I have in the back yard it will be SWEET...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner