Gathering information about converting a 1986 F-150 to a Cummins 3BT

Shamoke

Reaction score
An hours drive south of the infamous Ferguson MO.
As the title says I have a 1986 F-150 auto trans that I am thinking about converting to a 3BT diesel and 5 speed ZF5. My goal is to turn this truck into a towed vehicle behind the bus RV conversion I am working on. Currently it has a 351 Windsor with a 3 speed auto and low geared rear end, it was a farm truck originally. I was told a few years back that the 86 with a 351 was fairly rare but I haven't researched that. I'd like this truck to be as reliable as possible and be able to be towed long distances without worry.

Are there any sites/threads with information about converting a truck like this in this way? I know the clutch assembly and drive line length will probably be the most challenging part but I am willing to have the drive line custom made if I need to. What are your thoughts about the feasibility of such a project?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I think you mean the Cummins 3.9L 4BT. There were a number of parcel/delivery type vans based on Ford and GM chassis that featured this engine in the early 90's. The Chevy version is more common, but I have read there were some Ford ones - with a ZF5 even.

Lots of different swaps discussed over here:

FWIW, the 4BT fetches a hefty price. Often double what a 6BT costs.

Good luck in your search

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online