Superduty van 7.3 in a obs?

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I've got the chance to get a whole wrecked ambulance with a 7.3.its a e99 model with 219k which is less the my truck and mine needs head gaskets and injectors.but other then having tunes done to run the superduty injectors correctly what will I have to change to make it work.its goin in my 96

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the IDI motors had different manifolds and oil cooler on the van , but not sure about with the PSD. you should have all the pieces you need already from your truck's engine.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
e- fuel it.
I don't think the Sd modles came with a cam that had the eccentric

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Ya I'll have my parts for the front of it cause acouple are missing but I'm buyin the full ambulance hopefully if the deal works out because I know it ran good when it was wrecked and lower miles then mine is. Now I'm not sure it was intercooled or not I didn't see that but I'm gonna check agian.i rememberd about efuel after I asked but hopefully the pump on the van is good

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I'll have my parts for the front of it cause acouple are missing but I'm buyin the full ambulance hopefully if the deal works out because I know it ran good when it was wrecked and lower miles then mine is. Now I'm not sure it was intercooled or not I didn't see that but I'm gonna check agian.i rememberd about efuel after I asked but hopefully the pump on the van is good

7.3PSD were not intercooled in the Eseries, 6.0 was the first intercooled in the van. now those are a pain to work on!-cuss

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id be worried about high hours. Ambo's sit and idle a whole bunch.

But if you need an engine and it's cheap id do the same thing. Put both on the floor and swap everything over that's different.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Id be worried about high hours. Ambo's sit and idle a whole bunch.

But if you need an engine and it's cheap id do the same thing. Put both on the floor and swap everything over that's different.

Honestly I don't need an engine but the mechanic swears up and down the knock is a rod knock.i do have a blown head gasket and need injectors and I want e fuel so I mean it's worth it on that part because it did run good when wrecked. But mine will last probably another 100 k sounding just like it is the guy that had it before me said it was like that all the years he had it.ive had it wound out for so long it shoulda blew through the block by now if it truly was a rod knock.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Likely injector knock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I know it is.or well I think it is cause my injectors get really weak when it gets warm. Starts great when it's cold though. But it'll be a pain to get all that sludge stuff from the blown head gasket out