superduty fuel tank in OBS truck??

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
i did a search and found nothing on this. i need to put a 38 gal tank on Black Dynamite. i was originally going to just do the 38 gallon rear tank like i did on Blue. only problem is i had a ***** of a time routing the tailpipes between the tank and shackles. i have to pull the tailpipes if i put it up on a lift cuz the suspension droop rips them off and mangles things. i was originally going to just dump the exhaust right ahead of the rear wheels. it looks real nice but soots up the rims really quickly. that was how i had it first on Blue. so i got to thinking what about the 38 gallon factory superduty midship tank? does anyone know if it will mount up in there relatively easily and what it would take to hook it up? i know they are more expensive (ALOT more) but i have a possible junkyard connection to help ease that pain. thanks for any help you guys can give me.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
really?? nobody else has thought of this before to offer any opinions? man i figured this might be a pretty sweet idea... guess im on my own on it...

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I've thought about it, figured it wouldn't fit (standard cab, and adding a T-case) and left it, I can get you some measurements of the factory tank on our farm truck (05 F250) if you want.

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be easier to mount a tank out of a bronco (in place of the rear tank)...its a pretty much direct bolt in.
I know its pretty large but do not know the exact size.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bronco tank is not a direct fit or even close to one, I bought into that statement then wanted to strangle whoever made it. If you have the bronco crossmember then yes, suppose it would be easy, but w/o it you gotta make your own straps and find a way to secure it from sliding fore-aft (for that last part I hooked mine onto an add-on crossmember in front of it). On the flip side, the Bronco tank is both narrower and shorter (length-wise) than both the factory F-series tank and the F26D/E double capacity one, so if it's slid all the way to the rear of the available space and possibly all the way to the left as well there may be space for a large tailpipe in there... At the same rate the F26 tank has its front right corner beveled so it at clears the tail, not sure how big of a pipe it can accommodate there tho, but w/ it at least you don't have to mess w/ straps and such like w/ Bronco tank. My exhaust blows at the right rear tires (I got steel training wheels so I get no soot there, at least none that I can see) so I can't tell you how much space is available for exhaust around Bronco tank, plus my tank is centered between frame rails and also slid almost all the way forward so really my setup is just the opposite of what's needed to clear a tail.

Anyways, dunno about the Superduty tanks, but I do seem to recall Patrick (Crazy Asian) mentioning he had a monster midship tank off a 2000-ish F150... I actually looked into rerouting exhaust to the outboard side of the frame rail and then installing another factory midship tank in its place, but it don't look like it will fit right. Maybe a short-bed 16-gallon tank will work if flipped around, but ain't got one laying around to test that theory.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I thought about it on my 96, was gonna try to use SD brackets etc, never got around to it. with a CC 8' bed I think it would fit.
also Talked to my fuel tank renewer guy and he suggested a 97+ f-150 tank with the filler location modified.
never tried that.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I thought about it on my 96, was gonna try to use SD brackets etc, never got around to it. with a CC 8' bed I think it would fit.
also Talked to my fuel tank renewer guy and he suggested a 97+ f-150 tank with the filler location modified.
never tried that.

my front tank is from a 97-03 F150. Not a DIRECT fit but can be made to work. The SD tank is much harder, the way the top sits against the frame is much different. I also have that 38 gallon spectra rear tank. LOVE it.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
i really like my 38 gal rear tank on Blue, just dont like the way my tailpipes are. on my dually i have an L shaped aux tank i will mount in the bed for my WVO. my thinking was if i did the 38 gallon midship tank i could tie the aux tank right in to the fill neck of the 38 gal front tank and not need a pump. i suppose i could do that on the rear tank with a longer hose if neccessary. as far as the bronco tank goes it is $65 shipped for a 33 gal tank that just doesnt fit right. or roughly $160-180 for the 38 gal rear tank that bolts right in and has 5 more gallon capacity. or about $200 junkyard price for a front 38 gal SD tank that will definately require some fabwork. to make my decision harder both my tanks are in great shape. when i did Blue the rear was leaking and needed replaced.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online