Super duty 7.3 in obs truck

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, i recent went through a terrible episode of my 97 7.3 cracking inside cyl 7. I am in great need of this truck and a friend has a 2000 7.3 from a school bus with only 105k miles.
How feasible is it to put in my obs. The price is really good for such a low mileage Engine so I'm hoping I could just get a different tune for my php hydra and roll but my luck is rarely that good.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s from a bus the oil pan and oil pickup may have to be changed to fit a pickup Crossmember. On the bus the pcm may be mounted on the engine. Turbo clearance could be an issue. The motor will interchange with your original. You may have to change your accessories over power steering, alternator, ac compressor. Maybe change motormounts as well.

Is it a full size 54 passenger bus or a cutaway van type smaller bus?

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely looks like too much work for a quick fix!
My friend has another short block with only 180k on it. And I can have my heads rebuilt for $740 for both so that might be the way to go.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so can I just use the long block and injectors on the bus motor and transfer mg plenums, turbo etc??

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can get a tune to run the supersuty injectors. But will the hpop lines connect and such?

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
swap everything from the OBS over. Including the camshaft if you want the mechanical fuel pump to work. Sell off parts from the SD engine (what's left) to recoop some money.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already have e fuel so I should be able to leave the camshaft.
Swap the harness, turbo, valve cover gaskets accessory drive water pump and roll. Right?

Now this is a c195 engine so 195 hp but the injectors should still be the same so with the tuning it should be as much or more hp than my current stock setup right?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
What injectors does the 2000 school bus engine have? I'm thinking it has the AD/AE injectors in it.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already have e fuel so I should be able to leave the camshaft.
Swap the harness, turbo, valve cover gaskets accessory drive water pump and roll. Right?

Now this is a c195 engine so 195 hp but the injectors should still be the same so with the tuning it should be as much or more hp than my current stock setup right?
turbo could stay (as long as it clears) just leave the wastegate control disconnected (you wont overboost).

school bus should have AC which are single shot and larger size, so they should also work with the OBS PCM, although might need tuning for the larger size?

AA - '94-'97, 90cc fuel (non california '96-'97)
AB - all early '99 trucks, 130cc fuel, split shot (california 96-97)
AC - high-torque 7.3 non-PowerStroke engines (buses, etc.), 160cc fuel, single shot
AD - '99-'03 PSD stock injector, 135-140cc, split shot
AE - longer lead AD for cackle reduction (#8 cylinder only)

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all, i recent went through a terrible episode of my 97 7.3 cracking inside cyl 7. I am in great need of this truck and a friend has a 2000 7.3 from a school bus with only 105k miles.
How feasible is it to put in my obs. The price is really good for such a low mileage Engine so I'm hoping I could just get a different tune for my php hydra and roll but my luck is rarely that good.

How many miles did your 97 have on it when #7 sh*t the bed?

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles did your 97 have on it when #7 sh*t the bed?

in fairness, if this is a correct statement Kraig, the problem occured after messing with the cups and injectors correct? If so, who knows if the engine would still be going strong.

B10 life is 200k, B50 life is 350k for the 7.3 in a commercial application.... probably much higher in a pickup truck application.

Last edited: