Super cab seat options

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, I’m looking for measurements on some super cab seats. The youngun is going to be big enough to ditch the booster in the next year or so and I’d like to swap from the standard old low back seat to something more modern that’s a bit taller and has a head rest. The front seats are 2010 ish vintage. The rear supercab seats from that era would probably work looking at the mounts. I put shoulder belts in already but I’d rather him not bang his head off the back glass. Leg room is at a premium so probably needs to be supercab seats and not crew cab as I think they are generally shorter. I know they were in my 01.

So the two measurements I need are depth (seat back to front edge) and total width. The width doesn’t have to be super exact. The previous Gen (2005 ish?) ford seats could probably work too. I’m also looking at takeouts from the cargo vans. They are cheap and easy to come by.

So if you have access to any of these I’d really appreciate a rough measurement to see if I’m barking up the wrong tree.

Other things I’ve considered is adding a head rest to the current seat. I’m also looking at stretching the cab and adding 2 more doors but that might take a while.

:D

If you’ve got other suggestions, toss them out!

Thanks!

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low back seats are great until you find out whiplash is not a good thing. AS for measurements, a trip to the junk yard and a similar model might come in handy. I am in the same process with an older truck and a trip to the junk yard with seats already removed was informative.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
IMO, these older club/super cabs don't have the space for it unless everybody onboard has very short legs. Getting the backrest higher usually means the seat has to mount further forward.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be worth a visit to an automotive upholstery shop. Some of these guys are very talented. One possibility might be redesigning your existing seat back to incorporate the headrest design you're looking for.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent some time nosing around the interwebs today. I saw a guy put 2017 head rests in an older superduty for the same reason I’m looking. I’m not sure that’s quite viable but I’ll look. The OBS trucks had an extra pad that went below the window. That doesn’t help me because my seat has the lift kit on it so the back is even with the bottom of the glass. The good news is that the seat itself is actually pretty thick in the back so I think there is room for a headrest. This may be a faster problem then I had thought because I test fitted him today. He meets all the criteria now with the current seats and added shoulder belts but the no headrest thing really concerns me.

I think the path of least resistance is to add something to what I have. Just need to figure out the best way of achieving it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, these older club/super cabs don't have the space for it unless everybody onboard has very short legs. Getting the backrest higher usually means the seat has to mount further forward.
Generally I agree with you, but I need to buy some time. The high back booster works right this moment but it takes a ton of room that he’s going to need come summer.

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@laserjock 92-97 seats have headrests. that is the kind of seat in my truck. that harder part for you is that you have an extended cab so the only options is a split bench seat or bronco/extended cab seats. im sure a regular bench seat could be done but it would be harder for backseat passengers to get in. the 92-97 seats should just bolt right up to your truck. i have also heard of guys using 97-03 f150 seats but im not sure if that is what you are looking for

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@laserjock 92-97 seats have headrests. that is the kind of seat in my truck. that harder part for you is that you have an extended cab so the only options is a split bench seat or bronco/extended cab seats. im sure a regular bench seat could be done but it would be harder for backseat passengers to get in. the 92-97 seats should just bolt right up to your truck. i have also heard of guys using 97-03 f150 seats but im not sure if that is what you are looking for
Is this what you mean? The pad above the back of the seat?

You must be registered for see images attach

I haven’t seen anything else for a OBS truck.

This is my truck with the lift kit under the seat. So the seat back is already at the bottom of the window.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this what you mean? The pad above the back of the seat?

I haven’t seen anything else for a OBS truck.

This is my truck with the lift kit under the seat. So the seat back is already at the bottom of the window.
Got a link for that lift kit? Cool mod. My 6 year old likes to slam his head against his high-backed booster and it hits the window, which makes me nervous of course.
So I'm not far behind you and am also thinking about this in the future!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a link for that lift kit? Cool mod. My 6 year old likes to slam his head against his high-backed booster and it hits the window, which makes me nervous of course.
So I'm not far behind you and am also thinking about this in the future!
This is the common one. I’m not sure if this is what I have or not. I think I had to drill 2 holes.

https://www.lmiwelding.com/seat1.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online

No members online now.