suggestions for spare parts list/ roadside kit

13fcolt

former professional
Reaction score
i've been thinking about this lately. with my old gasser (86 460 CC) i had a set of parts in the truck at all times for emergencies. things like belts, vac & fuel line, spool of wire, fuses, spark plugs...and so on. the majority of it just stayed in the tool box taking up space, only ever needed the fuses and belts, but it was good peace of mind having enough kit to get me down the road. particularly when my income source kept me on the 1500 miles between russellville , arkansas and las vegas, nevada.

so i would like to hear from the more knowledgeable and experienced
idi owners, what do you keep in the truck ?
what would be practical for roadside self help and what would be taking up space?
what parts are most likely to surprise an idi owner in the middle of nowhere?

thanks!!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's like having several hundred nut's and bolts, but never the right one. I think icanfixall "Gary" has several ton's behind the seat. Maybe he'll divulge what his secret stash is. May be wrong, but I think he added a spring leaf on the rear. :dunno :rolleyes:

things like belts, vac & fuel line, spool of wire, fuses, spark plugs...Don't think you need the spark plugs tho.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would probably keep a new spare fuel filter, and some oil, a little extra coolant and possibly a spare fuel pump depending on what type you have on there.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U-joints, pinion-yoke, lots of U-joint clips, straps, bolts, etc.

Everything necessary to BYPASS the electric fuel-selector valve; or better yet, throw that junk in the trash and install manual valves.

New fuel-filters and wrench.

Extra oil-pan plug.

100' 12AWG and 100" 16AWG wire, several rolls black tape, a big roll of Gorilla Tape.

Two-part stick epoxy plumber's putty.

Pill-bottle full of tire valve-cores, caps, etc., and a couple valve-core tools.

Spare stainless-steel tube-less tire valve-stems.

Spare bulbs of all sizes found on truck, especially 1157s and 1156s.

Spare signal flashers, lots of fuses.

Electric fuel-pump and lots of hose and clamps, for transferring fuel from a dis-abled tank into the empty one, or for running the engine in a pinch.

TWO hydraulic bottle-jacks, 8-ton minimum, 12-ton is about ideal.(the reason for two is hydraulic jacks have a habit of suddenly failing with NO warning---I learned this the hard way---now I always carry two)

TWO long strong 1/2" breaker-bars and TWO sockets to fit the wheel-nuts, plus a "cheater" pipe, in case some idiot used an air-impact wrench to install the wheels.

GOOD spare tires/wheels; the best tires on any vehicle should be the spares, not some old rotten slick junker with a slow leak; then, when you do have a tire problem, the tire/wheel you bolt on will be better than the one that went bad; you can put a new tire on that rim at the soonest convenience and then it become a spare.;Sweet

Several flashlights; check them quarterly.

Several hundred-dollar bills; money will fix most things.

This ain't even half of what I always carry.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Oh golloy gee... Whats behind door number 3... I really have no idea about all the spare parts behind my rear seat but.... I have,
1 vacuum pump
1 fuel filter
1 oil filter
1/2 gallon of tran fluid
1 vacuum pump pulley
1 tps
1 set of injection hard lines
2 sets of return lines kits
1 gallon of Delo 15w40
1/2 gallon of Stanadyne Performance Formula
1 idler pulley
1 shock absorber serp belt tensioner
1 serpentine belt
1 Holley Red pump
both fan clutch wrenches
1 36 inch breaker bar
1 voltmeter
1 spare injection pump
1 set of Beru glow plugs
I know there is more but this will do for now....:sly

13fcolt

former professional
Reaction score
quite a bit here i had not thought of yet.

here is what i've got so far;
1 .45 automatic.
2 boxes of ammunition.
4 days' concentrated emergency rations.
1 drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills.
1 miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible.
100 dollars in rubles.
100 dollars in gold.
9 packs of chewing gum.
1 issue of prophylactics.
3 lipsticks.
3 pairs of nylon stockings

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
"1 issue of prophylactics.
3 lipsticks.
3 pairs of nylon stockings"

Lonely out there aint it killer *wink*

and I thought I was off the wall for keeping:
Injection pump
lift pump
all belts
12 injectors
return line kit
slave and master cylinder

misc oils, and 4-5 boxes of tools

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to add that I also keep a first aid kit along with a fire extenguisher and enough tools to tear the truck completely down, except for pulling the engine on the side of the road. The only vehicle to leave me stranded was a stupid car about 10 years ago that the fuel gauge quit reading and I wasn't the last person to drive it before I headed off to work, so maybe you could add spare fuel to your list of things to keep you from being stranded. I was almost stranded by our junky Land Rover, but luckily I got it to pull itself in 1st gear. The stupid thing only has 70,000 and the top gears just crapped out of the transmission and the shop wants $5,000-$6,000 to rebuild it, and they told us once it is fixed to take it and trade it off the same day, we probably wouldn't even get $5,000 for it on trade-in because of the freelanders bad rep. I am taking that stupid thing to one of those car auctions ASAP, we already bought the wife a newer Envoy and she is pretty happy.

13fcolt

former professional
Reaction score
i figured somebody would recognize that list from dr. strangelove, it just sort of popped in my head when i was reading the other list.

more seriously though,
i'm adding fuel filters
assorted o-rings
oil and 2, 5 gallon fuel cans premixed with diesel kleen and tcw3.
for first aid i have a CLS bag that needs the iv bags restocked.
i do need to pick up a fire extinguisher or 3 and build some type of behind the back seat organizer to keep thing neat.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to focus on what it would take to keep moving. Not necessarily moving 100%, but moving. To that end,
1 set of Wheel Bearings, Races, and tools to change them.
1 rubber hose long enough to reach down the fill neck, to the IP.
1 Barb, for installing said hose into IP
1 plug kit and an air pump
set of tools

Probably some other stuff, but no point repeating what others have listed.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Hijack On.....

Over the weekend, Dad and I saw a Smart car, and it looks like it would fit in a truck bed nicely, So you could carry one of those as a spare, that way no matter what happens, you can still get somewhere and get what you needed......:sly :rotflmao :angel:

Hijack Off

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than the jack/wheel-wrench, probably the most oft-used tool, especially if pulling a trailer, is a plain old simple test-light.

1994IDI

Reaction score
Am I the only one that keeps a tow rope and some heavy ratchet straps? They have come in handy in several different ways. winter coat, couple of MRE's, service manual and many of the items listed above.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one that keeps a tow rope and some heavy ratchet straps? They have come in handy in several different ways.
Not a tow rope, but a massive chain. Also like 100ft of truck rope (for tying down cargo and unruly passengers), two spare wheels with good E-rated tires, two gallons of diesel fuel in a jug, two gallons of coolant, one gallon of clean water, one gallon of oil, one gallon of ATF, one 12-ton bottle jack, two jack stands, 1/2"-drive breaker bar with impact extensions and sockets for the lug nuts, cheater pipe for said breaker bar, one 4-way wrench (for helping other people change wheels), full set of belts, one blankets to lay on the ground, one duffel bag with a clean change of clothes suitable for all weather, and on a long trip there's usually some foods too like bags of chocolate-chip cookies (high in energy, don't go bad). This lives in the toolbox in the bed, in the cab I have one first aid kit (probably due for replacement by now), one blanket to cover myself when sleeping, one small pillow, one water-proof coat, one titanium softball bat, one 30" breaker bar, and on occasions one 12-gauge pump-action :angel:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so i would like to hear from the more knowledgeable and experienced
idi owners, what do you keep in the truck ?
what would be practical for roadside self help and what would be taking up space?
what parts are most likely to surprise an idi owner in the middle of nowhere

I am knowledgeable and experienced. So what I have is a tow bar hooked to a 2011 Superduty with all the junk listed above in the bed with a topper on it, the tow bar is hooked to a big round ball on the back of my not so reliable old truck. I can use the 2011 truck to run into town in case I don't have the right length bolt or something I didn't think to carry. I also keep the 2011 full of fuel in case I would run out, a two gallon empty can and a siphoning hose, the kind with a hand pump on it. One other thing is a cell phone with a one touch call button to icanfixall. :rotflmao :rotflmao