STURBRIDGE MA - where can I get towed to?

Max Mini

Reaction score
I am on the side of the MA pike, E350 short bus is dead. It stopped the way a vehicle that’s out of fuel would stop but I fueled up less than 40 miles ago. Turns over, sounds fine. Was running fine before I turned it off and then started up again. It almost feels like it’s out of prime but how could that happen when it was running without issue? Any way a tow truck is o. The way but I have no clue where to take it. Anyone out this way have any suggestions for me?

Max Mini

Reaction score
Well the state police intervened and I’ve been towed to cracked Barrel. I am 90% sure I’m just out of prime - yes, I’m an idiot, yes, I ran out of fuel, for the second time in 2 weeks. I was not on the right tank but the other one is full, and I cannot get it to start. There is of course a slim possibility of another bigger issue but this truck always goes out of prime when it gets empty. I have been cranking and cranking but it just isn’t happening. I’m afraid of burning out the starter or draining the battery though it’s cranking well right now. Let me say it one more time: I’m an idiot.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're not an idiot at all. Apologies if you're already familiar with it, but when I first got my truck I wasn't aware of the fuel tank "shower head issue" and I also ran out more than once!! Priming these trucks on the side of the highway is freaking awful!!

Once I fixed that issue, my guage is actually accurate now and no more trying to find a tow or being stuck alone with my little kids with me

Max Mini

Reaction score
You're not an idiot at all. Apologies if you're already familiar with it, but when I first got my truck I wasn't aware of the fuel tank "shower head issue" and I also ran out more than once!! Priming these trucks on the side of the highway is freaking awful!!

Once I fixed that issue, my guage is actually accurate now and no more trying to find a tow or being stuck alone with my little kids with me
Hey there, thanks for the vindication! I feel like I've tried everything to circumvent that issue but never got the gauge working. I'm ok using the mileage but I need to keep better track of which tank I'm on, I guess. Usually I just fill up and it's not an issue, but the station wasn't taking debit and I only had $80 cash. Not that long ago I would have gotten change from $80, but it wasn't enough to fill it and I intended to switch to the full tank, but forgot. The rear tank, which I was running on, only got 4 gallons, so I'm kind of amazed I made it as far as I did. Thanks again for making me feel less dumb!

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s been quite a while since I messed with an IDI van, so I can’t recall how easy the filer head is to get to. But if you can get to the schrader valve on it, you can reprime the fuel system with a hand held vacuum pump like this.
You must be registered for see images attach

They are fairly inexpensive. The fitting that screws onto the schrader valve is the only special part. This one was scavenged off of a tire valve stem extension hose, but the end off a can of fix a flat will work to. Just thread it onto the schrader valve and pump until you get clean fuel with no air into the hose. You may have to stop and empty the cup a time or two. Once the air is out, just remove everything and start the truck should only take a couple seconds of cranking.
About 20 years ago, I was working for a company in Knoxville. One of the crews had a 90 or 91 e350. They ran out of fuel in the middle lane of I-40 at 4:30 in the afternoon. They called me, and luckily i wasn’t far away and I had a gas can in my truck. I stopped by the gas station and filled it up with diesel, then made my way through traffic to them. We dumped 5 gallons in the van, but saved a little bit to fill up an empty windex bottle I had. I had already had them pull the dog house off, and I removed the air cleaner. I started cranking,and spraying diesel mist into the intake. It was a trick an old timer had taught me. It worked (though I probably wouldn’t recommend it now), and I was so relieved when that ******* roared to life. They drove the van the rest of the way to the shop with the dog house off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86