Stupid question - -

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
At least probably a stupid question.
If you were to replace the head bolts one at the time torquing as you go, and then re-torquing in sequence, could you replace the head bolts with out need to replace an otherwise good headgasket? Or would this be a waste?
If it would work, it sounds like it would be less work than pulling the engine.
Whadda ya' think?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've replaced one on a freshly torqued head, because the washer snapped and I had to pull a bolt. I was cringing from the noises that it made when I did it. I was really worried that I might crack the head. I can't say I'd recommend it. Besides, even if it were to work OK, you'd run into a problem with the bolts in the back. The ones that traditionally have to come out and go in with the head already around them.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As stated above. Why are you thinking of doing this? Replacing one broken bolt is one thing. Replacing ALL OF THEM is another thing. If these motors were low comp maybe would be my guess. If you do this you can jack up the cab to remove the back bolts but even thats a job. You may get away doing this but if I did it "things" would come unglued on Sunday nits 100 miles from anything including cell service.....

poolguy

Slippery when wet
Reaction score
I was just pondering the possibility. I would like to turn up the power just like everyone else, and have read on here that with the new head bolts, running 12lbs boost wouldn't be a problem. I've never had a valve cover off this thing since I bought it, so I'm still unfamiliar with what ya' can & can't do. Like I said, probobly a stupid question. But I was bored, and started thinking. (this is where I usually get in trouble!)
Anyway, thanks for not beating me up!

Chuck

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have read on here that with the new head bolts, running 12lbs boost wouldn't be a problem.

I am not well versed on just what International put these engines together with; BUT, I regularly topped 12-PSI boost with the Hypermax on my old half-a-million-mile 6.9 engine, with the head-bolts that came in it stock.

With stock bolts and springs, I have had no problems with near 40-PSI boost in the Cummins.

I may sound somewhat on the dumb side; but, isn't 12-PSI MAX boost somewhat on the conservative side of caution for these engines ??

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I run 12-14 psi and it has never been apart except to replace leaking valve cover gaskets. Granted I only have 105k miles on it, but the turbo went on around 15k miles. Runs great, lots of power, so turn it up and start grinning!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What the thinking is about boost above 12 lbs is this. The spinning turbo heats the air charge to around 300 degrees so any gains are lost do to the added heat. Ken ran a motor on the street with 19 lbs of boost and when he opened up the motor very little damage was done with that high of boost. I don't recall if he was using an intercooler but I don't think he did. Its been a long time ago. You can run more boost but its really useless without some way of cooling down the air charge...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online

No members online now.