Strange starting

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I recently replaced both batteries and added a set of batterycables.com cables to my 93. The truck seemed to start just fine. I noticed no problems, and it seemed to turn just as fast as my 85 does.
But last Wed morn (45 degrees) I went out to start and I noticed the WTS light only lit for 4-5 secs. "Dang, must have a bad plug!"
I recycled the GP's and hit the starter. It turned over normally, yet didn't start right away. About 20-30 seconds into cranking, the engine started turning over much faster. I figured that it was just starting to hit on a couple of cylinders that had up to temp plugs. Well, I let off the starter and let it cool for 30 secs.
Recycled the GP's (only 3-4 secs, this time) This is where it gets interesting. The starter turned the engine over muuuch faster now. I'd guess it turns over 3-400rpm faster than it did previously. And it has kept this speed all week.
Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that it's turning over so great. But I'm wondering what happened to get it to do this? Burned oil off brushes/stator? Heated + contact to starter???

And wish me luck, I'm going out to R&R a set of autolites this AM. -cuss
3 burned out. I took those 3 out on Thurs. Luckily none were swelled.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Typically it doesn't start turning faster it's the other way around. Sounds like it could be connections related. I would check them out.

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had something similar happen when I dumped in the new donor motor. had a bad connection at the starter, and sometimes it cranked slighlty slower, and sometimes it was faster. turned out when I hooked up the starter cables, I didn't get the nut quite tight enough and it was making a spark show while it was cranking slow, and acting fine when cranking normal. I'd check every connection.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
UPDATE

I got done with the Velvet Ride install, decided I'd take her out to see how the ride was. NO START!

I removed the starter and found the brushes were shot. One is not even making contact.

So where to get new brushes?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would have to find a starter and alternator shop in your area. If you can't, you can call Lancaster Starter and Alternator at 717-399-9951, and they can probably mail order you one.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Well, I was driving by te concrete plant this AM and I saw that the mechanics truck was there. So I swung in and talked to "Ed", the mechanic. He told me where they take their Alts, Starters. Tri Star Automotive Electric. "Tell Roy I sent ya", says Ed.

So I brought my starter down,told um "Ed sent me", and Good Ol' Roy rebuilt the motor in about 15 mins. He had an old stator that he dug outta the scrap bin, turned it down on the lathe, swapped my bearings onto it, slapped in a new set of brushes and a holder.

When I asked Roy,"How much?" He scratches his head and added the cost of the brushes and holder. $30.00 ;Sweet :thumbsup: I know where the rest of my electrical business is going.

Anyways, I never knew an IDI could turn over so fast! The new batts, Batterycable.coms, and a rebuilt starter. Got it fired in less than a full revolution @ 12 degrees. No BH, either. :D And it hadn't been started in 2 weeks prior ;Sweet

Last edited:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I was driving by te concrete plant this AM and I saw that the mechanics truck was there. So I swung in and talked to "Ed", the mechanic. He told me where they take their Alts, Starters. Tri Star Automotive Electric. "Tell Roy I sent ya", says Ed.

So I brought my starter down,told um "Ed sent me", and Good Ol' Roy rebuilt the motor in about 15 mins. He had an old stator that he dug outta the scrap bin, turned it down on the lathe, swapped my bearings onto it, slapped in a new set of brushes and a holder.

$30

NICE...Sure beats paying $200+:puke: for a new one...I'd say Roy just earned a new lifetime customer;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online