stock 6.5 turbo vs. TEO6H visual comparo

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just some visuals comparing the stock 6.5td turbo and a reclocked Banks TEO6H off a 7.3IDI. Note the severe 90deg bend at the turbo outlet and the small exh turbine housing on the stocker compared to the Banks unit.

Attachments

• 6.5tdwithstockturbo.jpg
    6.5tdwithstockturbo.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 6.5tdwithbanksturbo.jpg
    6.5tdwithbanksturbo.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 49

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Also, If you take off the compressor housing and measure the compressor wheel, I'll bet that the stock turbo is tiny compared to the TE06...

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so what are you getting at? the Banks unit would be a huge improvement over stock? will a stock motor with 170k miles on it stand up to it? whats the psi and cfm diffrence on the 2?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bct said:
so what are you getting at? the Banks unit would be a huge improvement over stock? will a stock motor with 170k miles on it stand up to it? whats the psi and cfm diffrence on the 2?
answers to...
question #1....YUP :D just on visuals alone, the banks unit kicks butt over the stocker.
question #2.....this is not going into a critical use vehicle. If the motor scatters, that's what my furd towtruck is for. If you are following my other thread in the 6.2 section, there's three motors mishmashed into one here. Total $$$ outlay? 1400 including machine shop work. I am going to get what I pay for. :eek: this is mainly an engineering excircise and a way to get rid of a few core motors. ;Sweet
question #3....the stocker is regulated at 5psi. the banks is set at 8psi and can go to 15 without a big hit in the efficicney.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
There is a guy over at the diesel page that put one on his 6.2. I think it's on his site: www.oliverdiesel.com . They are supposed to kick ass over the stocker. I still prefer a good old holset though...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dieseldummy said:
There is a guy over at the diesel page that put one on his 6.2. I think it's on his site: www.oliverdiesel.com . They are supposed to kick ass over the stocker. I still prefer a good old holset though...
thanks for the linky! ;Sweet
I remembered looking at them about a year ago when I first put the turbo up for sale. I was very suprised to find that there was a disproportionate amount of GM people expressing interest in the turbo. So I googled it and found the site. There was one guy who was willing to send me $100 and pay for ship. I don't think so... cookoo

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's a pics without the compressor housing on it.

Attachments

• turbo compressor seal.jpg
    turbo compressor seal.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 16

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Cool!! That looks monsterous compared to the stock IHI turbo.