Sterling 10.25 problem

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rear passenger axle keeps coming loose. The bolts that go into the hub keep coming loose and when it gets loose the bolts break. What is causing this? Hub is tight, and bearings are good. Changed the hub twice thinking it was the hub. Different tires and different rims and still have this problem. Anyone ever had this problem?

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are the holes in the axle ovaled out?

I second that question.

Also, are they the correct bolts? The correct ones are shoulder bolts of a particular materials and construction but they are not always readily available and not in your average hardware store. Regular Grade 8 bolts aren't adequate in many cases.

Finally, it's important to torque the bolts with a torque wrench. That torque is what keeps them tight. Too much and they are overstretched and break. Too little, they come loose and/or break. I have seen so many guys who just run them in with an impact. If you ever work in the realm of high torque outputs and high traction (sticky tires on stocky rocks, low gearing, tons of engine torque with lots of torque multiplication... e.g. hardcore rockcrawling) you learn these things.

Also, make sure the axle flange is square with the shaft. Never seen it, but a bend housing/tube/stub axle could put the axle in a bind at the hub... and maybe break stuff there. Never saw any that caused a problem like yours but I did see some bent housings that caused extraordinary wear at the spline end of the axle shaft and in the side gear.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Ovaled holes in axle? Wheel bearings in good condition and adjusted to spec? I believe it's torque to xx ft/lbs and back off some number of clicks. Don't have my manual in front of me. Axle bolts torqued to spec? Failing all that... Blue loctite? I've never had axle flange bolts come loose on me so just guessing at the basics.

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are torque correctly. Might try the stud idea. I read about it or get some grade 9 bolts with wedge lock washers

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the axle holes are ovaled out then its time for a new axle. Sorry for the bad news but fix it correctly and you wont have any more issues. Just find another differancial in a wrecked rig. Pull the axle and be sure to take the bolts too..

Bootzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok i got a whole rear end out of a 94 today
It's a full axle from hub to hub for 50$ has 5.13 gears to match my truck
Probably wont swap the whole thing
Ill take both axles and hubs. Plus grab the 5.13 gears out o it with the trac lock locker (same gears and locker as my truck) and junk the casing
Pickin it up in the morning and hopefully have my truck back together by noon

Thanks for the help guys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online