Steering Shaft Replacement

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never heard of Flaming River, but I've heard good things about the Borgeson shafts. I haven't been able to justify it financially yet, but I might put a Borgeson in someday...

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
Flaming River is pretty popular in the hot rod world. They make great stuff but definitely expensive. Anything is an improvement from what I got, hoping to really tighten up the steering between a new steering shaft and new draglink / tie rod using heims.

dancrowley

danc01
Reaction score
I have a complete Ford Factory steering shaft, brand new in the Ford box if you are interested. I would need to get $180.00 for it. It sells for $285 from Ford. Dan

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
I have a complete Ford Factory steering shaft, brand new in the Ford box if you are interested. I would need to get $180.00 for it. It sells for $285 from Ford. Dan

Thanks for the offer Dan, but I'm paying $180 for a factory steering shaft I'd much rather pay $250 for a u-joint shaft which will last much longer and offer much better steering response.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a Flaming River shaft in the Moose Truck. The quality is excellent, and well worth the money.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I also got the Flaming River from Summit - about $70. Seems like a good quality product for the $$$

I just did the rag joint end with a new u-joint splined to fit the box; not the entire shaft.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also got the Flaming River from Summit - about $70. Seems like a good quality product for the $$$

I just did the rag joint end with a new u-joint splined to fit the box; not the entire shaft.
Was the shaft you bought for a different application, or is Summit selling the same Flaming River shaft that 88IDITurbo linked to for $244 less?

Not trying to be a smart-aleck; just wanted to make sure I'm reading that correctly...if Summit's selling the shaft for only $70, I think I need to order one right now...

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Was the shaft you bought for a different application, or is Summit selling the same Flaming River shaft that 88IDITurbo linked to for $244 less?

Not trying to be a smart-aleck; just wanted to make sure I'm reading that correctly...if Summit's selling the shaft for only $70, I think I need to order one right now...

NOT THE SHAFT..

I just used their u-joint on an existing shaft to couple it up in place of the rag joint. Not as bling, but it worked for me. (The joint is splined correctly for the input shaft on the steering box.)

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oops, guess I misread your post (or it was wishful thinking on my part :D ) ...for some reason, I wasn't connecting the first part with the second part; thought you were talking about a second project. Thanks for clearing it up :)

I wish I had known about that when I replaced my rag joint in 2004; I always thought the rag joint was a bad design...OTOH, I have enough play in every joint in the steering shaft that I pretty much need to replace the whole bloody thing...not to mention needing to do suspension/steering work. I'm tired of the wandering and the tire wear!!! -cuss

88IDITurbo

88IDITurbo
Reaction score
I put a Flaming River shaft in the Moose Truck. The quality is excellent, and well worth the money.

Thanks for all the input guys. Agnem, do you have any pictures of the flaming river steering shaft install in your Moose Truck? What is complete bolt in or did anything have to be modified?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789