Bastardizing a steering shaft?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Got the truck aligned today after installing new balljoints and TRE's (minus the draglink). Other than finding a tire with a recently broken tread belt, we also found where all the play is coming from. Turns out the upper steering shaft (column side) no longer fits snug on the lower steering shaft.

The truck is a 90, but I have the junk 92 Bronco. I know the steering columns are completely different, but since it's on the other side of the county, I'm wondering if anyone here knows if it's possible/how difficult it would be to swap out the upper steering shaft. IE, 90 lower shaft and 92 upper shaft.

Can't recall for sure, but doesn't the 92-96 upper shaft attach to a square peg on the column and the 90 attaches to a round, splined shaft? I don't have any junkyards nearby to pull from, nor do i have the funds to pull one from a junkyard. Seems Borgenson's are cheaper than stock replacements, but I definitely don't have the cash for either of those.

Maybe I could get away with cutting the column side yoke/u-joint assembly off both shafts and welding the one from the 90 to the 92 shaft?

Thoughts?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you just order a new one or pull a junk yard column? Seems like a lot of trouble for a temp fix

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
That would be phenomenal! Even if you don't, I still appreciate the effort. Need a 92+ multi-function switch or e-brake assembly? I'm trying to think of things you might be interested in that would fit in the same size box so you're not just giving one away.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t have a need for that, I’m happy to give parts away to someone who really needs them. Is yours tilt or non tilt?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Thanks :cheers: Non-tilt for now. Does tilt vs non-tilt actually make a difference between the gear box and the firewall? I've never noticed a difference.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you need the one between the firewall and box that’s the lower half of the shaft and it won’t make a difference

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful, I have been a couple rounds with this. I believe you are talking about the collapsible part of the shaft? If so, that is a "double D" shape, lower is male, upper is female. There is a small leaf spring inside between the two pieces that takes all the play out, but still lets it slide together in case of a front end collision.

I was on vacation a long time ago, and had the seal blow out of the steering box away from home. I bought a rebuilt box, and took it to a garage to have it replaced. He took the steering box loose and just pulled it out from the upper shaft, replace the old shaft on the new box and slid it back together. When I got it back it had a bunch of slop in it. I didn't take it back, I had to keep going on my trip. But after an investigation, I found all my slop was inbetween the two double D shafts.

I did some research, and I found out somewhere about a leaf spring up inside there that takes the play out between the two shafts. The guy at the shop lost this when he pulled them apart. I have never been able to find that reference again, and have never seen it listed in any parts catalogs. What I have been relying on for years is a piece of brake line smashed flat with a hammer, and driven up inbetween the two shafts to take the play out, and then a clamp to retain the smashed brake line. It's not the best setup, but it has worked a long time.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's actually a plastic sleeve with a metal strip(spring?) in it; that's between the two halves.
Sure seems like any sort of shim that you could jam in there to make it tight would work just fine; all you have to do is keep them tight to each other.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Yes, it's the lower steering shaft that I need. It looks like those springs/shims have fallen out, allowing the female section of the shaft to move much more before moving the male portion that connects to the box.

If the upper section on both the bricknose and aeronose shafts have the same insert, I could just remove that insert from the Bronco shaft and install it on the 90 shaft. I know the 92 Bronco shaft has a long rubber boot over the slip joint, whereas neither one of my 90 trucks have a boot there.

If that insert is removable, and IIRC, aeronose lower shafts are the same profile/diameter, it would be much easier than previously thought. I plan to get out there next week anyway to get this other IDI on the engine stand and pull the heads, so I could pull that shim/spring piece as well. I've already got the column out of the Bronco so it should be easy enough to get to.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here we go, found an FSB write-up that illustrates what I'm missing.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum...e-excessive-play-steering.html#/topics/465730

It's either the entire sleeve retainer and spring, or just the spring. I'm just guessing that this is a non-obtainable part. If the 92+ shafts also have it, then I can indeed just rob the one off the BKOs lower steering shaft.

Thanks for finding that. I knew it was there but never really laid eyes on it.

chrlsful

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like how every 1 sez the LAST adj U do is "tighten the bolt on the box" - seen too many guys go there'n in short order have s. bx failure...