Steering Column Rebuild

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have been rebuilding the steering column on my truck (replacing the bearings, bushings, springs, etc.) I finally got it finished and put the steering wheel back on, but there is something rubbing somewhere that makes it hard to turn. I used the instructions found here http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1175201-steering-column-wobble-repair.html for a guideline and everything seems to be in the right place. It is a tilt wheel, and it seems like the friction may be coming from that joint, but I can't be sure. Does anyone know what this might be or have ideas on where to start?
Thanks for the help!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One or more bearings may be to tight. If they went in a little cocked or way to tight.

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the bearings went in level, so if they are in there too tight, how would I fix that? Thanks again

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you solve this? Sounds to me like there could have been an old bearing shaving in there. I am asking because I will eventually be in need of the same job. May just decide to replace the whole column. They say a crown vic will work.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard the same thing about Panther platform steering columns, that they're identical to OBS. I have a spare Lincoln town car column, made too much sense for me to have one, I suppose.

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I ended up doing was putting the large compression spring that goes between the outer bearing and the snap ring into a vice, tightening it down, and heating it so it would lose a little bit of its tension. This way, it wouldn't be pulling the shaft so hard. I didn't really want to tamper with anything but after messing around with it for so long it seemed to be the only way to do it. I suggest trying to find a whole new column. I takes about 30 minutes to take one out and another 30 to put it in. It is far more easy. Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online