Steering column anyone?

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a steering column that will fit a 1991 Ford E350 automatic transmission and preferably tilt wheel as I have now.

For more than a year now I have been starting my truck with an alternate method due to something malfunctioning in the column not allowing the key to turn all the way to start. Doing it this way still allowed me to lock the steering wheel.

Today the key would not turn at all so I had to defeat the lock due to me being 30 miles from home and in order to repair it I need another steering column.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a steering column that will fit a 1991 Ford E350 automatic transmission and preferably tilt wheel as I have now.

For more than a year now I have been starting my truck with an alternate method due to something malfunctioning in the column not allowing the key to turn all the way to start. Doing it this way still allowed me to lock the steering wheel.

Today the key would not turn at all so I had to defeat the lock due to me being 30 miles from home and in order to repair it I need another steering column.

Have you inspected or changed the ignition switch mouned on the coulumn. There isn't much to the ignition. Basicly you have the key cylinder that is attached to a rod that goes to the ignition switch.

Ingnition switches are about $20 and you can get them at nearly any auto parts store, pretty common item. Lock cylinders are also about $20.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Compu Doc

There is another part that has a bad habit of failing in tilt columns. There's a little pot metal "intermediate" shaft that connects the lock cylinder to the rod going to the ignition switch. They need to be kept lubriccated or they WILL break. Good news is they are only about $13 from the dealership. Bad news is they are a ***** to change. Best thing I can say is start with the steering wheel and start disassembling until you get down to where you can see it. It sits near the top of the column and will be obvious when you see it.

Tom

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compu Doc

There is another part that has a bad habit of failing in tilt columns. There's a little pot metal "intermediate" shaft that connects the lock cylinder to the rod going to the ignition switch. They need to be kept lubriccated or they WILL break. Good news is they are only about $13 from the dealership. Bad news is they are a ***** to change. Best thing I can say is start with the steering wheel and start disassembling until you get down to where you can see it. It sits near the top of the column and will be obvious when you see it.

Tom

As stated it's going to need a new column. It's beyond repair at this point. Think heavy hammer and screwdriver to get the wheel unlocked.

I am really surprised that no one called the cops as I was defeating the lock in a Walmart parking lot. I was expeecting cops to show up with guns drawn. Just gotta figure no one pays attention to whats going on around them.