starts and dies!

IDIcaveman

i like pie
Reaction score
well i've read other threads with my same problems but i'm kinda stuck here. 94 f250 7.3 idi factory turbo 130xxx miles. newer fuel filter, and just did the injector o rings, caps, hose, and when i fire it up, it runs for a bit and dies, then i have to crank it till it bleeds the air out and starts. also while driveing if i come to a stoplight, wait for it to turn green when i take off, the phantom boost monster kicks in and my truck takes off like a bat outta hell then idles like crap. is it worth doing the fuel pump at the block? i need help!!!

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
sounds like your running out of fuel. also did you replace the line that goes from the #8 injector down to the selector valve? perhaps your lift pump is going? dont worry, you'll get some better answers.

IDIcaveman

i like pie
Reaction score
yes i did replace that, i notice that right before it runs out of fuel it dumps alot and smokes like a mother!

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Your pulling air from some place. Does it do this on both fuel tanks? I had a hole in the pickup on my front fuel tank and it was acting the same way. Hooked a tire pump tube up to my bleeder valve. When the engine was running I was watching the air come out with the fuel. Figured it had to be on the draw side of the lift pump otherwise it would not be much of a problem after the engine was running.

IDIcaveman

i like pie
Reaction score
i only use my front tank. the rear leaks. could that be the problem even if my switch is on the front tank? and where is the lift pump? whats it do

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Lift pump is on the side of the block. It pulls the fuel from the tanks to the injection pump. your back tank leaking should not affect your front tank. Why does the back leak though? Rusted lines?

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the short rubber hose between the lift pump and hard line on the frame, they are famous for cracking and sucking air.

IDIcaveman

i like pie
Reaction score
tank rusted at the seam, i understand it's sucking air but wouldn't it leak fuel at the same time though? and lift pump is diesel term for fuel pump. thanks!

IDIcaveman

i like pie
Reaction score
rubber hose on lift pump is good. gonna cut the ends and make sure they aren't the problem

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
If its on the suction side of the pump there is a vacuum created in the line when the engine is running so its going to pull in air. It can leak fuel though when the engine is not running.

IDIcaveman

i like pie
Reaction score
well how do i find a small leak damnit! we have a smoke machine at work for evap systems. could i use that?

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be checking all those fuel return caps on the injectors you just did, double check the seal on the fuel filter, check all the valves and fittings on your filter head.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Not sure how that works. If you could fill everything with smoke you may just find it. You would have to make sure the fuel was out though. I would just follow the fuel line back to the tank and check every connection. Some leaks will allow air in but not fuel out so it can be a real pain to find.

IDIcaveman

i like pie
Reaction score
well i'm doing that and notta, so here's a question, will this small leak ever leave me stranded? i know it takes a bit to get it to start but could it die once it's running.