Starting Problem

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No... Not just yet... Do you have any fuel out the top fitting in the injection pump. Turn on the ignition key but not run the motor. Now on top if the injection pump you will find two wires connected. Remove the wire closest to the front of the truck. Listen or feel for a "click" from the top of the pump. If you feel or hear this that tells us the pump fuel shutoff solenoid is working. Then remove the fuel line at the top of the pump. Turn on the ignition ans try to start the motor. Fuel should flow out the top of the pump. Whatever you do don't remove the top cover of the injection pump. There is a very special way it goes back together. Do it wrong and you can't shut off the motor and it will rev till it blows up. You have no control over this if its done wrong. Most here will not attempt the removel of this cover unless they have done it on a bench before... Hopefully we can get you running again.... If you don't hear or feel the shutoff solenoid functioning just run a jumper wire from the positive side of the battery directly to this wire connection on top of the pump but. If the wireing is the problem you will need to pull this wire everytime you want to shut down the motor. Thats not a bad thing.. Just kinda a redneck way to start and stop your rig....

OHIDI83

Reaction score
Ok, so I got a used known good pump. Came off running motor. But the only difference is the throttle. The throttle bracket is different. It appears that the "new" one had cruise control and I do not. Is this going to matter?

Attachments

• DSC02651.JPG
    DSC02651.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC02652.JPG
    DSC02652.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC02653.JPG
    DSC02653.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC02654.JPG
    DSC02654.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 3

jwolf

Reaction score
Hi,
My truck had a similar failure the other day.
Turned out that during start the Fuel Shut Off Solenoid lost power.
Try to switch the ignition on then start the truck manually with a wire to the starter relay and do not use the key to start.
Worked for me but was difficult to find.
Solution "push button start" similar to manual glow plug controller.

OHIDI83

Reaction score
I already checked that out and the power to FSS was ok. Trying to find out if this pump with different linkage will work?

Titojeep

Reaction score
Trying to keep up as best as I can, so forgive me if I overlooked a detail. How many miles on the truck? Is it the OEM pump? If changed out before, then how many miles on it? Although I had a similar problem of cutting out, mine was actually due to the fuel line issue noted above. I fixed my tank, and I also replaced the pump due to a sputter when running 65mph. The truck had 199K on the original pump and injectors (amazing) and all i had was a sputter, slight smoking at idle, and 13 miles to the gallon. A new pump and injectors was less than $600 including install and WOW! A new truck all over again. Also jumped my mpg to around 17 @ 65mph / 2300rpm (Dually with 4.10 and E40D). Everyone notes 100K +/- 20K is about the life of the high pressure system. I took their advice and have been well on my way. Thanks again to this site, and the people out there. IDI till i die!

OHIDI83

Reaction score
Don't know the miles on truck my father in law gave it to me and he's not sure how many miles. It just died on me on my way home and I have fuel pressure going to it. I removed the supply line to it and plenty of fuel and pressure. Cracked injector lines and almost no fuel came from lines.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Very little fuel will come out of a cracked open injector line. To do any fuel flow tests at the injectors you need to hold open the throttle wide open. That will force more fuel thru the system. Idle only pushes a very tiny drop at the injectors...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I don't think any mounting issues will come up. Just look closely at how your throttle cable connects to the oem pump and if that mount matches the replacement pump your set. All the lines and mounting holes are the same from pump to pump on the DB2 pumps. Its just the chevy diesel pumps look differant and they run oppsite direction to ours so don't try to install one of those pumps...

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my truck do the same thing to me. I was driving along and all the sudden I realized my engine wasn't running. I had drove through a couple big puddles so i thought maybe i had locked it up from the rapid cooling but when i poped the hood the pump was dry:dunno. Either way the new injection pump woke her up, ran again and had a crap ton more power ;Sweet.