Starting Problem

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
that actually just poped into my head. i read somewhere on the cummins forum that it could be excess fuel that is not being burnt. Im wondering if you have low compression in some cylinder.

btw you can edit your original post and add what you need

OHIDI83

Reaction score
Low compression in one cylinder wouldn't cause the engine not to start though would it? Where can I get a cheap and decent compression gauge? I know cheap and decent usually don't exist together.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you need to run a compression test on that engine, and you need to get two readings, one cold and one after running the block heater. , next question, have you tried plugging in the block heater for a few hours and then trying to start it?

OHIDI83

Reaction score
No I have not tried plugging the block heater in. The truck is in an apartment complex with no access to electricity to plug it in. Where can I get a compression gauge that will fit this motor at a price that won't kill my wallet. Funds are extremely tight.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
If you are getting white smoke you are getting fuel. Are your GP's working?

I'm still questioning your intermittent fuel issue. The mechanical pump will give it pulses but it should still be a fairly constant stream. Got access to an electric pump? Slide some hose over the frame line, and run the pump. Make sure u have constant flow. Strainer might have broken off in the tank/ someone put some hose in the tank and now its clogged... Who knows. These engines run with run just the basics. If you can diagnose VANOS this is cake.

Also if your return line clear? Might not apply to this particular motor, but on my suburban i was chasing a no start issue. Ended up being a clogged return.

OHIDI83

Reaction score
yeah tell me about it. At this point I'd rather be diagnosing a Vanos. This is driving me nuts.
If i'm getting fuel which I assume I am b/c of the white smoke and my glowplugs are working I assume this b/c the truck started before. Why is it not starting? The only thing I can think of is compression. But I don't have a diesel compression gauge. Again where can I find one that is not going to make me broke?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Well how long does the WTS light stay on for?

This might be considered blasphemy but i'd try lightning it off with the glow plugs disconnected first and a little bit of ether. A little goes a looooong way. I don't think you have a problem with compression. It ran. I think you have a fuel problem.

btw i'll trade ya. I got a 02 330ci in the shop that needs the block timesertted. You do that and i'll fix your truck! j/k.

OHIDI83

Reaction score
The WTS light stays on for about 5 seconds. What is normal? NO Way you have to timersert a M54? That never happens. J/K. Here is another puzzling fact. When loosening the injector fittings the only one that has fuel com out is number 5. No other injector fittings have fuel come out. How can that be? Number 5 being the first injector in front of engine on driver side correct?

MR.T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked your weather, about 45 F? Mine would be on for ~15 seconds, so you may have some bad glow plugs. However, it should normally start at 45 without glow - but it will take a while longer and could make things difficult for this troubleshooting.

Zillion ways to troubleshoot -- I'd hook up a fuel pressure gage at the filter outlet, maybe rig up a flow test or similiar. Could use the schrader valve too, the core could be removed, slip some clear tubing on it. I think that small an orifice should have a constant flow (and no bubbles). Another approach would be to plumb in another source of diesel, even gravity flow from a funnel, to the IP inlet.

All the injectors fittings should have flow when loosened, it's like it hasn't even filled up all the injector lines yet. Very puzzling.

OHIDI83

Reaction score
Yes puzzling indeed. How does the return line system on this truck work? I see that while cranking I have fuel coming from the IP with the return line removed and the return line what Is the flow pattern. You say gravity feed the IP? Will that work with having no pressure behind it?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
The DB2 pump will have enough internal pumping forces to light the motor off if its gravity fed fuel.

edit: if his motor is worn, at 45 it might not start well without a little help from the glows.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Seeing that you are an able mechanic, have you tried a sniff of ether? And I mean a SNIFF....not a lungfull!!

Most people knock ether, and I agree, but being that this is a starting problem, a 1/2 - a 1 full second shot into the intake WITH THE GLOW PLUGS DISABLED might be enough to light her off.....but I doubt it.

I agree that you need a compression test. White smoke from the tailpipe means fuel is getting to the cylinders...but isn't getting hot enough to light off. Either compression or water in the fuel?

When you were driving the truck the other night before it died, was it up to operating temperature? How long were you driving it for before it quit?

Do you know how to test for working GP's? Test light hooked to the positive battery terminal, and touch the light on each invidiual plug...if it lights up, plug is fine...no light, bad plug.

It sounds like it might be a timing issue or compression issue...hopefully it's not the latter of the two.

I would go get a container of good fuel. Pop a line into it and hook it to the supply line of the IP before the filter. Remove the filter, dump it out and fill with fresh fuel or diesel kleen, howes, etc. Let it pull the fuel into the pump while cranking. It is possible that you might have bad fuel or water in the fuel. Hopefully this is all it is.

Your truck have dual fuel tanks? The selector valve could be stuck or not pulling fuel the way it should.

How many miles were on this truck. Is it auto ot stick? (just curious on this for myself)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online