starting/ charging issue

zpd307

Reaction score
as most of you know, i just recently replaced my battery cables and starter. i also ended up replacing the fender starter relay. the truck now starts way faster now. but, thursday night i hopped in and only heard clicks when i turned the key. i tried neutral and slamming it back into park. after several attempts, all of a sudden it turned over and started on one revolution. it started normal after that and most of yesterday. it did the same thing yesterday night at the diesel pumps. it started fine after that and today.
last night , i checked the alt output and with the truck running, it was 12.54 volts. so i spent todqay at work researching old posts.
armed with all this new found knowledge, i came home and did some checking. volts with the truck not running, 12.72. i cleaned the vr ground. pulled out the t connector, cleaned the connections and put on some dialectric grease. started the truck, started just fine. high idle voltage 14.54. voltage at warm idle, 14.28.
my question is, will the vr or alt mess up as it warms up when they are going out. or can anyone make sense of what is happening.

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced an atlernator doing the exact same thing, it would charge for about 10 minutes when cold and then quit. I tried the voltage regulator first but it kept doing the same. Changing the alternator fixed my problem. by the way whenever i had it checked it tested good