Starter troubles

Phantom-309

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Ive been lurking for about 2 months here, finally joined and before I get a chance to introduce myself, I have a break down and need some information... My truck is a 94 IDI Turbo, ext cab, dually, auto trans, 250,000 miles with only the glow plug relay replaced to my knowledge. As far as I know, everything else is stock.

About a week and a half ago, my truck wouldnt start...ran fine, then no start, no trouble leading up to it. Turned the key, no click, wouldnt engage the starter. Put jumper cables on it and got it to click, still not turning over...scraped the battery connectors and managed to get it jump started, ran for two hours then shut it off, turned the key on and didnt have enough juice to run the interior lights...Batteries are new (05/11), alternator was checked and ok'd at Oreilly's, I took my starter in today and Oreillys said that it needed to be replaced...So my question is, does this sound like a starter problem, and if so, where is the best place to get a starter, and what other truck /motor years would be compatible for a replacent (donor vehicle?). Whenever I have connected it with jumper cables to another vehicle, it does not even seem to put any "lag" on the running vehicle, as if it werent actually drawing power due to a break in the circuitry...Any advice is appreciated, I've got things to do and no truck to do it with...

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you say you drove and then two hours later the lights wouldnt turn on, I would say you had issues with battery connections. I had the same problems with mine and a truck I just worked on in Utah over thanksgiving.

Try wiggling your connectors next time the lights wont come on, or if it wont crank. By the way, welcome to the site!

Phantom-309

Reaction score
Thanks Vegas, the one time it did start was when we scraped/cleaned the positive connector for the main battery. It was covered in slag from being arced so many times, so I bought a new connector today, figured it wouldnt hurt to replace that also.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where in texas, I know of some good electric shops.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you have some dirty battery connections from all the arcing trying to jump start it. Most any good gear reduction starter will work. On ebay several members have bought the DB electronics starter and are really happy with them. No not install a direct drive no matter what someone trys to tel you or sell you. They turn very slow and a fast turning engine will start faster. Its also less work for the starter yo only be used for a second or two. None of this 15 seconds of cranking to get it to lite off... That kills the batteries and the starter...

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Don't forget to check your ground strap(s) and starter connections (both ends), dirty connections in any of these places will cause symptoms similar to what you are describing.

Phantom-309

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Im located in Quitman, TX, up in the North-East. I bought a a new terminal connector today, but does anyone have any advice on how to remove the old connecter, the one that is solid lead with no fasteners, it looks like the cables have been forged into it. I put jumper cables on it today to try once more, and with the cables on it, the interior lights would come on, but it wouldnt even click, much less turn over. With the jumper cables taken off, it wouldnt even fire the glow plug relay on. When I removed the starter to have it tested, I cleaned all of the connections on it, all of the secondary battery connections and all the grounds. Thanks again for the help.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If the starter doesn't even click then either You have no power to it or the started solenoid isn't working.
Regarding the battery posts I would switch to the stud type to make sure it really is connected tight. You could get batteries with the stud already on it or if the battery is still good buy the kind that will clamp to the post and has a stud on the other end so all You got to do is cut the terminals from the wires and drive the ends on some copper/brass female terminals (they look like a loop) You can use a propane torch to heat them up with the wire inside it and then use some solder to fill the rest. After it cools down it is hard to beat.
You should check how many volts on the battery with the engine off and how many with the engine idling to see if the alt is charging at all. Btw there are fusible links connected to the alternator that burn then Your alt may charge a little or not at all. You can replace this with some mega fuses.

Btw to cut the lead terminals off You can use a bolts cutter or even a cutoff wheel.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
remove all electric connections from battery and grounds from frame, clean, grease and reinstall, easy and cheap to do and could be causing your problems

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you clean and grease all of the connections, use a conductive paste or even anti seize will work fine. Clean all connections with a wire wheel or a nylon wheel. Do you have a good ground from the block to chassis? If so clean it and lube it, that will guaranty that it is good.

By the way, welcome, I'm just 26 miles away.

Phantom-309

Reaction score
Ok, so Ive got the starter back off, and am going to replace it. I have a donor vehicle that is a 99 powerstroke, and I was wondering if that starter will fit and have the same bolt pattern as a 94 idi. Any ideas?

If it doesnt fit, I will be ordering one from DB Electrical, but am unsure which model to order, the SMT0018, the SMT0059 or the SND0027? All 3 say that they are for the 94 7.3, and the angles of the pictures make it hard to tell. Also, do the DB starters come with bolts, nuts and wiring?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Ok, so Ive got the starter back off, and am going to replace it. I have a donor vehicle that is a 99 powerstroke, and I was wondering if that starter will fit and have the same bolt pattern as a 94 idi. Any ideas?

If it doesnt fit, I will be ordering one from DB Electrical, but am unsure which model to order, the SMT0018, the SMT0059 or the SND0027? All 3 say that they are for the 94 7.3, and the angles of the pictures make it hard to tell. Also, do the DB starters come with bolts, nuts and wiring?

The 99 and up starters are not the same. It will fit, but it will not work.

You have to use your hardware and wiring.

Phantom-309

Reaction score
So, I put the new starter in, wired it the same as my old one (lg cable from battery to starter positive post, small wire from solenoid up top to small post on starter). Turned the key and all I got was the clanking noise of the starter extending and I could hear the gear whirring...So, back to square one.

I have replaced the positive batt cables, cleaned the neg's, checked all grounds, checked all fuses, moved the shift lever around to ensure it was in park. The best way that I can describe the condition now is that the starter is not engaging the flywheel. What do I do next?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online