Starter Dilemma

BoostFiend

Reaction score
Well guys my starter was starting to go bad Friday had a bad spot I could beat it and it would start. So I went Saturday and normally I buy factory stuff because I have had bad luck with reman stuff, but the starters on these diesels are quite expensive the only place that had one in stock was autozone. So I got a replacement gear reduction drive which was in it before. It worked perfect and spun really fast for the first 2 days anyways then after starting it Monday afternoon it stuck on , not against the flywheel but just free spinning. By the time I got the battery’s unhooked it was slowing down and stinking ( I am guessing the solenoid on the starter stuck on since the plunger wasn’t stuck on)so I had them order a replacement one it got in today but looks totally different the one before is bigger and has half the end covered (the cone area) this new one doesn’t have half of it covered and is much smaller they are telling me it was just a newer model ( both Mitsubishi by the way) anyone heard of this? BTW the autozone part numbers were the same. I am still at work so won’t have time to put it in til tonight.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Try getting some pics... it will help. I think the rule of thumb is that the larger starters are better... but any gear reduction is an upgrade over stock.

Also, if you had the sticking issue at all with your prior starter, you might have some issues with your key/ignition circuit sticking. If it just started with the new starter though... likely just the new one being bad.

BoostFiend

Reaction score
Well guys I threw it on tonight after getting off work, and it is working good for now so apparently its compatible. Hopefully this one last longer the the first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online