Stacks???

HOIB

MYRMIDON
Reaction score
OK, alot of questions, cause I like em.. and don't know much about em

Is it better to have them pro installed???
Are they a home fab item?
Is alot of heat generated in the bed due to piping, should I remove my liner?
If I haul brush and junk is there a possibility of combustion?
I lose the kitty and muffler, right??

TIA

crzycowboy

Supporting vendor - www.grpipes.com
Reaction score
OK, alot of questions, cause I like em.. and don't know much about em

Is it better to have them pro installed???
Are they a home fab item?
Is alot of heat generated in the bed due to piping, should I remove my liner?
If I haul brush and junk is there a possibility of combustion?
I lose the kitty and muffler, right??

TIA

I'll see if I can answer your questions for ya....;Sweet

1.) If you do not have all the proper tools, yes I'd say look for a muffler shop to help with the install....fore-warning, they charge by the hour.

2.) You can go to your local truck stop, and try to get the piping you need there, or you can purchase an exhuast system like ours, with no worries about forgeting brackets, or stuff like that.

3.) If you cut the inlet hole in your bed a 1/4" bigger than the pipe its self, you should have no issues with heat or rattles. I've had several customers keep the drop in bed liner.

4.) If you don't cover the Y-pipe, yes you can burn dry leaves and stuff like that. You will even melt plastic bags to the y-pipe or stacks if you're not careful.

5.) Again it depends on if you buy a kit, or make one your self. We have normaly two kits offerd per truck. They are univesal kits, then model specific kits. Universal kits will connect to any 4" system, or we have adapters that will step the exhaust up from stock to 4" diameter. The complete systems replaces everything Turbo back, and you should check with your local emmisions laws before removing the cat off of your truck.

I hope these answered your questions. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. You can reply here, PM me or even call me if needed.

cdennyb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
D.I.Y.

ok, I know all the retail dealers and installers out there would love to sell and install them for you but keep in mind, they're usually bolt on with u-bolts, and brackets, etc. which can be removed easily by someone hellbent on stealing them out of your truck if the chance came easy to them. :backoff

I prefer the welded solid approach like I did here, which would make them just about impossible to steal without destroying them to the point of not being able to use them again. :thumbsup:

I also prefer Stainless to anything else, it's easy to weld up, never rusts, and will look good practically forever!;Really

Here's a few pictures to give you an idea of what is in store if you so desire to take it on yourself.
I'm into these 6" polished stainless steel babies for about $350-$400 total. I used a 4" elbow under the bed and was going to make my own tee with a flow seperator plate into the 6" across the bed section because the preformed Teewas too expensive in stainless but found a used one laying around the shop which I promptly stole for this most important little project! The flow is just as good too... after all, you're taking 4" dia flow and dumping it into essetially 2- 6" dia pipes, no problems there.

They do get hot after a lot of 1000 degree exhaust rolls through but they cool off quite quickly. I have the cross tube spaced off the bed with a 1" square tube in two locations... and I keep the bed clean as well. You could put up a little garbage guard if you wanted to if you haul leaves and crap that burns easily.
Either way, don't let anyone talk you into 4" stacks, they look stupid (IMHO) but 6" is awesome if you have the truck to make them look good. A friend has 5" on his 2500 4x4 and they look almost as good as mine... :eek:

so, take a look and give it a shot. Keep them squared, just inside the bed cap rail and make all your connections square and tight. TIG welding is a plus.

Attachments

• 101_0839comp.jpg
    101_0839comp.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 101_0819.JPG
    101_0819.JPG
    680.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 101_0831.JPG
    101_0831.JPG
    723.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 101_0820.JPG
    101_0820.JPG