Srw flatbed

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Hi,I am planning on using my 87' f250 as my welding truck since it's 4x4,and I am on the fence about keeping the pickup bed or making a skirted flatbed with fold down sides.I was wondering if anybody has pictures of a srw flatbed.If so,I would appreciate seeing some pictures.thanks

Rock

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is helpful or not, but it's a srw wood flatbed with a steel frame. It's wide, like it was originally built for a drw. If you want I can take better pictures or dimensions if that'd be helpful.

You must be registered for see images attach

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not the greatest picture of the flatbed itself, however here is my flatbed truck

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
These pictures are very helpful,I am just trying to get an idea of how it looks on these trucks,and I am really liking the look of it,and I am sure it will be a lot more functional then the pickup bed.both are really nice trucks,and I hope to get mine looking as good as yours "nitroguy".On a side note,where did you get those rims?I have been wanting to get a set for my truck.

Here are pictures of the bed I would like to build,and also one of the truck.I am thinking maybe a matching grill guard to go with the bed.As you can see,besides a couple dents,the truck is bone stock,so that's my only hurdle,is messing with an all original truck,but if it wasn't for the practicality of using the flatbed,I would leave it the way it is. What do you guys think?thanks.

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope to get mine looking as good as yours "nitroguy".On a side note,where did you get those rims?I have been wanting to get a set for my truck.

if it wasn't for the practicality of using the flatbed,I would leave it the way it is. What do you guys think?thanks.

Ha! Well, you're too kind. That truck, Red Fred, has been quite the labor of love. And he's a 20 ft truck. Any closer and you see all KINDS of blemishes. Not to mention the steering that'll put you in a ditch, the brakes that have no assist, the clutch that sticks, the engine that misfires, the .... You get the idea. Looks can be deceiving. ;)

For the wheels, I wish I could help. They were a Craigslist find for $100. Wish I could be more help!

For the utility of the flatbed, YES! can't beat it. I love mine.

Blue94

Reaction score
Here is my 94’ F350 SRW crew with a little over 5000 lbs of topsoil on it. I bought that bed used for $500, it is a knapheide.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to bump this because I've been thinking about it myself. Google gave me a couple suggestions too.

It would be pretty handy to have, and would give a little more weight for winter traction in my 2wd truck LOL

Does anyone know why they're always bolted through the sides of the frame instead of using the original bed holes? Is it just convenience?

Farmer Rock

Reaction score
I'm going to bump this because I've been thinking about it myself. Google gave me a couple suggestions too.

It would be pretty handy to have, and would give a little more weight for winter traction in my 2wd truck LOL

Does anyone know why they're always bolted through the sides of the frame instead of using the original bed holes? Is it just convenience?
The frame is much stronger at the webbing then either of the flanges when put under load. It's not a problem for a pickup bed because it's flexible, but slap on a heavy steel framed bed, and it puts a lot more pressure on those flanges than they were designed for.
When I installed the flatbed on my green CC, I welded channel vertically to the bed frame, and bolted it through the side of the frame in 6 places. She didn't go nowhere.

Rock

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I installed the flatbed on my green CC, I welded channel vertically to the bed frame, and bolted it through the side of the frame in 6 places. She didn't go nowhere.

Yeah that's how I've seen everyone do it.

The frame is much stronger at the webbing then either of the flanges when put under load. It's not a problem for a pickup bed because it's flexible, but slap on a heavy steel framed bed, and it puts a lot more pressure on those flanges than they were designed for.

That makes a LOT of sense. I hadn't really thought about the flexing aspect in that way. I was thinking it would stiffen everything up but hadn't thought about the relative strengths.

EDIT: On second read, that's not what you said but that's what I read LOL

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I used 1/4" wall box tubing, sealed up with 3/8" plate and a 4" C-Beam Bracket running down the outside of the frame for my bed. I'll get some pictures of it. Not a SRW and the bed is stupid heavy for what I throw at it but might give you some ideas for yours. I used 5/16" steel diamond plate decking and 6" C Beams (1/2" web) for the crossmembers.

For bed sides, I used 1" square tube with door hinges welded to the bottom of it every 12". 1" Round tubes welded vertically with another 1" square tube on the top. Kinda looks like a ladder. Its relatively sturdy, still working out locking mechanisms to hold it up without having to strap it. When down, I can still drive and it acts as side skirt guards to protect my wheels and tires from rocks on logging trails and as a step so I can climb up on top of it. When up I can comfortably use it to brace several tons of oak logs or boulders.

Also put a roof rack on top of my headache rack that holds my truck toolbox above the cab so I dont lose load space with my logging gear.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not my truck, but I’ve had my eye on these “weld yourself” flatbed kits from double diamond fabrication.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I found an old home-made 7x9' and reworked it to mount on my dodge. (Headache rack needs work still. ) My buddy built his to the width of the cab, and 8.5' long.

Both of us mounted as low as possible, and used the factory bed bolt locations into the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_20220501_1858236-01.jpeg
    IMG_20220501_1858236-01.jpeg
    699.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220721_211811613_HDR-01.jpeg
    IMG_20220721_211811613_HDR-01.jpeg
    627.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220809_123142099_HDR-01.jpeg
    IMG_20220809_123142099_HDR-01.jpeg
    898.8 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Forum statistics