Srw flatbed

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used 1/4" wall box tubing, sealed up with 3/8" plate and a 4" C-Beam Bracket running down the outside of the frame for my bed. I'll get some pictures of it. Not a SRW and the bed is stupid heavy for what I throw at it but might give you some ideas for yours. I used 5/16" steel diamond plate decking and 6" C Beams (1/2" web) for the crossmembers.

For bed sides, I used 1" square tube with door hinges welded to the bottom of it every 12". 1" Round tubes welded vertically with another 1" square tube on the top. Kinda looks like a ladder. Its relatively sturdy, still working out locking mechanisms to hold it up without having to strap it. When down, I can still drive and it acts as side skirt guards to protect my wheels and tires from rocks on logging trails and as a step so I can climb up on top of it. When up I can comfortably use it to brace several tons of oak logs or boulders.

Also put a roof rack on top of my headache rack that holds my truck toolbox above the cab so I dont lose load space with my logging gear.

I'm thinking about running 4" channel along the frame and on the sides, and possibly 3" channel for the supports under the wood floor. At least that's what I'm thinking right now.

Not my truck, but I’ve had my eye on these “weld yourself” flatbed kits from double diamond fabrication.
You must be registered for see images attach

I was looking at them for a while, until I realized that they don't come with a lot of the steel. You're pretty much buying the cut plates for the ends and the plans. Which is great if you don't have access to a plasma cutter or anything, but I have one and access to a large cnc plasma table at work so I'd rather just do it myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight