speedometer gears

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
Sorry guys I searched and didnt really come up with what I was looking for.

I have a zf-5 2wd with 31.62 diameter tires and 3.54 rear end.

My speedometer set up was screwed up aftermarket stuff from the PO so I am starting with basically scratch. All I have is the drive gear inside the trans.

My speedo worked fine but the driven gear sheered out of no where. My drive gear looks ok but hard to tell just looking with a mirror. It looks like a black drive gear.

I need to know what driven gear to buy color and spline count because ford doesnt know.cookoo Do I also need to replace the drive gear? That seems like you would have to take the tail shaft out?

I know there is a web site that has the parts but they cost more.

If anyone can pull the parts for me at a junkyard that would atleast give me a starting point, I would need the cable speed sensor and the driven gear.:hail

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
start with an 18 tooth, dont know what color.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These colors refer to the cable end and not the gear on the tailshaft of your trans.

Manual Transmissions:

16-teeth-wine (C0DZ-A)

17-teeth-white (C3DZ-C)

18-teeth-yellow (C0DD-B)

19-teeth-pink (C0DZ-B)

20-teeth-black (C1DZ-A)

21-teeth-red (C4OZ-A)

Auto Transmissions:

16-teeth-blue (D0AZ-A)

17-teeth-green (C7SZ-A)

18-teeth-gray (C7SZ-B)

19-teeth-tan (C7VY-A)

20-teeth-orange (C8SZ-B)

21-teeth-purple (D0OZ-B)

The black gear on the tailshaft has 8 teeth I believe

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
ok thanks.

If anyone has extra of these parts or is going to be at the junkyard Id appreciate it if you could send them to me.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These colors refer to the cable end and not the gear on the tailshaft of your trans.

Manual Transmissions:

16-teeth-wine (C0DZ-A)

17-teeth-white (C3DZ-C)

18-teeth-yellow (C0DD-B)

19-teeth-pink (C0DZ-B)

20-teeth-black (C1DZ-A)

21-teeth-red (C4OZ-A)

Auto Transmissions:

16-teeth-blue (D0AZ-A)

17-teeth-green (C7SZ-A)

18-teeth-gray (C7SZ-B)

19-teeth-tan (C7VY-A)

20-teeth-orange (C8SZ-B)

21-teeth-purple (D0OZ-B)

The black gear on the tailshaft has 8 teeth I believe

Wow;Sweet

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
Another thing though do I need to worry about replacing the drive gear also or is it possible the driven gear just broke due to age?

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing though do I need to worry about replacing the drive gear also or is it possible the driven gear just broke due to age?

The drive gear in mine was worn too much in the center and would occasionaly work and not work. I replaced it a while back when I went through my transfer case, because it was leaking. On the 2wd version, it will be tougher to change because there is not tailshaft housing that you can just pull off and change the gear. It is located inside the actual transmission, and might have to be taken apart to change it.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have basically the exact same tires/gearing and a 2wd ZF in front of a divorced NP205 t-case in my F250....My speedo reads 20KM/H low....I've become so used to self correcting as I drive that I've been slack on correcting it...LOL...Damn it! - this is the week it gets fixed.:D:sly:rotflmao I went from an E4OD with 4.10's to a ZF with 3.55's but I re-used the speedo gear that was in the E4OD.