Speedometer gears: colors teeth PNs Ack help!

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
So I changed from 3.55s to 4.10s and I was at the dealer trying to get the right speedo gear(s) to correct my readings. I've been staring at thier computer screen trying to sort it all out and getting more lost.

Do I need to change both gears? She asked about the gear color, is there a source that can point me twards the right color? Or does anybody have service info that can give me the right part numbers? It's the ZF5 w/4.10s and 215/85/16 tires. Thanks in advance for any help. :hail

Patty at 32Ford has been bending over backwards to help me with all this oddball stuff I'm dealing with. She's got parts coming from all over town to try to sort this out. ;Sweet

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
I was looking at that site earlier. Looks like the drive gear doesn't change, only the driven gear. My driven is 17 teeth so hopefully Ford will hand me one with more teeth. Or am I thinking backwards? Currently it reads higher than actual speed. If that doesn't pan out I'll be calling transmission center.

Thanks.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went through this with my truck. I've got a t-19 4speed and 3.55 though, and it's 4x4, so the gears go into the t-box. It's a bit more involved, as you have to drop the driveshaft, pull the rear seal on the t-case, swap gears, and then button it all back together. Took me about 1 1/2hrs in my driveway.

The gears are all different. There was about 20 choices on the microfische I looked at at the local dealer(but there are only 2 choices of rear axle gearing? go figure...), and they couldn't make heads or tails of it. So I ended up at a tranny place, and they got it right first time.

I replaced both gears just to be sure. I've done only one before, and found that it didn't take long to wear out again. I'm assuming there's burrs or something left on the on the old one and it quickly takes out the new one...

Mine was a light green colour with a brown driven gear with 23 teeth. I've got a t-case out of a truck with 4.10, and it had a yellow gear in it.

Probably doesn't help much though...sorry.

Zigg :)