Speedometer Cable ???

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 85 F-350 2wd 4speed 6.9 diesel has a weird speedometer cable that is held into the transmission by a bolt and retainer.

When I pulled out the transmission end of the cable, it has a big plastic gear molded on it.

What I need is a speedometer cable that will fit my truck, except have the threaded cap on the transmission end, such that will screw on a Getrag G360.

Do the 4x4 1985 Ford speedometer cables have the threaded cap, or are they made like the one on my truck??

I do not have cruise control.

Are the upper ends of speedometer cables vehicle specific or are they interchangeable??

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MIDNIGHT RIDER said:
Are the upper ends of speedometer cables vehicle specific or are they interchangeable??
On Fords, yes, they've vehicle-specific...instead of having a nut, they have a "quick-connect" fitting that AFAIK is unique to Fords.

If you're putting a different tranny in, I think adapters may exist...or you might be better off ditching the stock speedo and getting an electronic unit?

Or, I believe adapters exist to go from the "standard" speedo cable fitting to the Ford fitting...you might look into that. Take a look at http://www.isspro.com

Sorry I couldn't help more...good luck! BTW, the plastic gear and the retainer/bolt setup is normal on Fords; that's how my truck's set up...

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link.

Is there a custom cable shop that will make special order speedometer cables out there anywhere??

Would it be possible to swap an end from one cable to the other??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online