SOS!!! park failed, rolled back into road, jacked knifed trailer, damage!!!!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Like the title says. Anyone around be Washington, Oregon, Idaho or Utah able to let me park for a while soon? might have to, in order to deal with insurance inspection?

Attachments

• PXL_20220609_165412996.jpg
    PXL_20220609_165412996.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 60

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang Cubey! I'm at the other corner of the united states! But it's hot and humid here, stay up there for a while.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have plenty of room for you to park. And I even have hookups. And it's a wonderful 64 deg. here.
But I'm in Maine.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Well, I blew $104 on a motel for tonight (yes, thats one night!). I need to relax. I guess I'll be staying here a few nights so I can rent a uhaul van as the original plan was, and go deal with the rest of storage tomorrow. That way I can go deal with storage.

EDIT: paying to stay here 2 more nights (just under $100/nt for the next 2) RV parks aren't possible really for me around here, so yeah. Being the weekend, uhauls aren't doable either without spending an hour+ on a bus to get to one. so, I guess I'll be dumping off stuff to donate in the morning that's already in the trailer and crapped in the RV and picking up more and loading it in the trailer tomorrow. more rain tomorrow but saturday/sunday will be nice, so i'll load up the trailer one one of those days since I need the room right now for stuff I'm getting rid of.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
And a bit more details:

the rear bumper got shoved in, because it sticks out long at the ends with no support, cracking the grey waste tank (i just emptied it, thank goodness) and the related fiberglass above it. it ripped the trailer wiring in half but somehow didn't blow the fuse on the RV. that's easy to fix but hasn't been done yet. it broke 2 tail light lenses. one just plain fell off just from the impact (they don't stay on real well to begin with) and i missed it and it got run over. and the other got impacted and broke the lens and the plastic tab that holds it on. i have old spare lenses at least but i need to glue/silicone them on probably. gotta way for a dry. Dunno bow the bulbs inside survived.

The trailer's fiberglass box is damaged but I should be able to patch it up one way or another. The frame looks like it didn't get bent, amazingly. The spare tire carrier on the trailer got mangled up so now the spare has to be inside the trailer taking up space. I ran 2 ratchet straps (linked together) over the trailer box to help keep it slightly straight and more rigid. It needs actual repair but it'll have to wait.

I have full timers RV insurance and it covers both the RV and the trailer so odds are they'll both be "totaled" but of course I'll keep them less whatever payout they decide on both. So, at least I should get some money out of this to help pay for the motel and maybe a little more to fix up whatever else I can fix myself. The bumper is the worst thing, it's so pushed in. Finding another to fit will be difficult, and pulling it out by myself would be equally as difficult.

But at least it's drivable and isn't falling to pieces (too much). One small piece of fiberglass dangling by a few small strands fell off when I touched it but that's all. What mainly suffered was the bumper, waste tank storage compartment, the grey tank, and of course the rear end body. If I can get the bumper pull out, then I can probably pull out the fiberglass and patch it up with some wood inside and screws, temporarily, so it doesn't look quite as trashed.

I zip tied the loose sections on the side to it's drivable without them working more loose. the long pipe to the black tank is supported by the yellow strap since it does have some "waste" but thankfully the rubber couplings I have on it kept that from breaking the tank. But, now I don't have a shower or kitchen sink, until I get a replacement grey tank. And using black is questionable at best, until I at least fix the valve to the broken grey tank, because it snapped that off and the coupling piece.

There is that RV salvage yard south of here so maybe I can find something usable there on Tuesday to get this fixed sooner. i need the back tank working, at the very least. I can get by without grey for a while. It won't be fun but it's doable.

You must be registered for see images attach

As fast as it was going back, it's like it was in reverse. but when i hopped in when it came to a stop, it was showing in P. Dunno if it maybe slipped into P after it stopped from the impact or what. I'm being super careful about making sure it's in park now. I am on a hill here at the motel because they make RVs and trailers curb park. i turned the wheels so it will roll into the curb with the back tires (pretty close to the curb already)

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
well that sucks. Better fix your parking Brake.

Goat

I checked the dash cam. It began grinding and vibrating when it began rolling back before it totally let go so yes it didn't catch in park properly, it seems. that's what i heard and made me turn around and look. but when i looked after it happened, it appeared to be in park but maybe it was off a bit

Last edited:

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks!! Does your parking brake work? I always use my parking brake out of habit. I also feel like it tells me if I need to adjust my drum brakes.

On another note, I saw this and thought of you. You need it!! :D

Drivetrain swap and lot's-o-refurbishin'!!!!

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that really stinks Cubey. These aren't the "memories" your trying to make. It's not far out that the park lever in the tranny was out of adjustment or was hindered to not fall into a slot. But the damage is done.

That f250 class c is SWEET!!! 300-I6 aint bad but IDI would be better! And it's an 81 so it says "Ford" on the hood.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Yeah, that really stinks Cubey. These aren't the "memories" your trying to make. It's not far out that the park lever in the tranny was out of adjustment or was hindered to not fall into a slot. But the damage is done.

That f250 class c is SWEET!!! 300-I6 aint bad but IDI would be better! And it's an 81 so it says "Ford" on the hood.

Well nah this rv is fixable. It didn't hurt it structurally. The rear end is a huge fiberglass that's empty down low. Tons of empty space inside, so the shower in that back corner suffered no damage.

notice how that ad mentioned roof leaks but didn't show the inside? it's probably completely trashed.

it would be more work and expensive to fix that up, vs just replacing the grey waste tank and related bits and patch up the fiberglass on this.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
notice how that ad mentioned roof leaks but didn't show the inside? it's probably completely trashed.

it would be more work and expensive to fix that up, vs just replacing the grey waste tank and related bits and patch up the fiberglass on this.
I agree. But for a $1000 that's a fine starting point.
You know that hood looks sweeeet out in front of that RV!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01